Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I see the Done issues in Advanced Roadmap?

Kevin Lester May 22, 2020

I've been playing around with Advanced Roadmaps and it seems really handy.  One issue I'm having with it, though, is that I'm not seeing a way to properly report on the progress of an epic within the Roadmap View.  From what I can tell, the Roadmap will only recognize the issues that are not in the issueCategory of "Done".  To test this I created a simple filter that pulls in all recent issues in all statuses.  When I specify this filter as an input source, it only allows me to import the issues that are either Not Started or In Progress. 

This is a bit strange, since there is a widget on the Roadmap view that is supposed to show the progress of the epic (or more generally of the row), but since the Done issues are never imported, the widget never shows the amount of work that has been completed :(. There is similarly a "Filters" option to filter all the issues with an issueCategory of Done, but I'm not seeing how that filter will ever return any results.

What is the proper way to show all the issues for an imported epic in Advanced Roadmaps?  

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kevin Lester May 28, 2020

The correct answer for my question is in my comment here.

4 votes
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2020

Hi @Kevin Lester ,

I'm a product manager on the team. The Advanced Roadmap plan filters out issues that were already resolved. The default is filtering issues that were resolved more than 30 days ago. You can change that to any time you'd like it. Just go to the plan configuration and select issue sources in the side nav. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 4.35.55 PM.png

In regards to rollup progress, we will release an improvement that allows the rollup progress to account for all child issues (even long time-resolved issues) no matter if they are filtered out the plan or not. It's already available in Server, and cloud customers would be able to enjoy it soon.

I hope that helps,

Roi 

roger wagstaff May 25, 2020

Hi - I am experiencing the same issue.  I have increased then completed issues filter to way beyond the current project (1000) and 4 completed issues show at the task level - yet there are 135 completed Stories

roger wagstaff May 25, 2020

Sorted - For Completed issues to be visible - they must be at status  - "Resolved"

Unresolved issues will not be displayed

Kevin Lester May 26, 2020

Apologies, but I must be missing something here.  I created a sample project with a simple workflow that looks like the following:

test-wf.png

I created a new epic and imported it into Advanced Roadmaps.  I then created 2 issues under this epic, and I see them both in Advanced Roadmaps listed under my imported epic.  I then transition one issue to the "Resolved" status, and after refreshing the Advanced Roadmap page, it disappears from the epic :(.   My expectation is that it would continue to be displayed under the epic, but with a statusCategory of Done.  What am I doing wrong?

roger wagstaff May 26, 2020

Will Wait for Roi from Atlassian to reply - 

Kevin Lester May 26, 2020

Ok, so after doing more reading and experimenting, it looks like the `Resolution` field needs to be set on an issue for it to show up in Advanced Roadmap when the issue's status has a statusCategory of `Done`.  Put another way, once an issue has a statusCategory of `Done`, it will disappear from Advanced Roadmap unless its `Resolution` field has a valid value. 

How do you set the the Resolution field?  I found this and this link to be helpful in understanding the options.  In my simple example above, I created a Post Function to automatically set the Resolution field to `Done` when the issue transitions to the `Done` status.  The other possibility was to create a transition screen to allow the user to choose the resolution, but I went with the Post Function.  In my simple workflow above, I did the following:

1. Clicked on the transition between `In Progress` and `Resolved`,
  2. Clicked `Post Functions`
  3. Clicked `Add Post Function`
  4. Selected `Update Issue Field`
  5. Selected `Add`
  6. Chose `Resolution` for the Issue Type, and selected `Done` for the Field Value.  
  7. Clicked Add
  8. Published the draft workflow. 

Once this was published I tested it by creating another issue, validating it showed up in Advanced Roadmaps, transitioned it to In Progress, then Resolved, and validated it shows up correctly with a status of `Resolved` in Advanced Roadmaps.

Huzzah!

Like # people like this
roger wagstaff May 26, 2020

Thats exactly what I did - added a resolution as a post function.

Glad that you have it working

Bertrand Egsbaek August 20, 2020

Hello @Kevin Lester , @roger wagstaff  I have added the Post Function to "Deployed/Closed" but still can't see that status in the Roadmap. Could you kindly help? Am I suppose to add a transition between each status on top of the "ALL" transition?

Thanks in advance for your precious help!

Kevin Lester August 20, 2020

That post-function will only fire for the defined transition.  So if you added it between "Deployed" and "Closed", then you need to ensure your tickets go through that exact transition in order for the post function to fire.  If tickets are already "Closed", then you you need move them back to "Deployed", then to "Closed" so that they go through that exact transition in order for the post-function to fire and set the Resolution status.

Unless you need to use a rigidly defined workflow, I recommend you use Jira Simplified Workflow which makes it much easier to manage the resolution status for states (it's just a checkbox on each status"

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2020

I solved this issue by simply changing the offending Statuses Category from “Done” to “In progress”. 

That said, it made sense to do it that way in our case it was for a status of "Realising" which is only on our SAFe Epic (Initiatives) workflow and all statuses to the left of it were "In progress" category and we still had "done
to the right.

Plus, "Not done until benefits/value are realised” makes sense.

Kelly Strand October 8, 2020

I am having the issue with my Advanced Roadmap.  No issues that are Done are showing.  I've tried Resolution of Done and Resolved.  The issues have a resolution date.  I have the the Completed Date Filter set to 3 months back (all my completed issues have a date earlier than that).

The issues are showing up on my boards, as well as in separate queries.

I've looked through all the comments on this topic and cannot find anything that resolves my issue.  

Any other suggestions?

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2020

@Kelly Strand  It could be to do with what you are using as the "Isuue sources".

I just did an experiment where on an existing plan I had an Epic marked as done and no stories could be seen under it in the hierarchy.

I changed the default for completed issues and some of the stories (that were done) appeared.

The other stories that didn't appear were completed using a different board (and set of sprints) than the Board I used to pull the issues into this Plan with.

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2020

Further to the above, the new Board I used as the Issue source was filtering on a certain Program Increment number (on our Program Increment custom field), thus all the stories completed in the Previous PI were never part of that Board, because of its filter query.

You may have a similar filter query situation?

Bastian Höhn February 8, 2023

Thanks mate!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events