How can I have delivery times in portfolio and have releases being dependent on them?

Josephina_Werner April 4, 2018

In our part of the company we produce hardware and software. We often have to deal with delivery times for components or new equipement. After a bit of reading the tips of other people, I chose to make special tickets ("stories") for each component and only set target start and end dates according to the delivery times I know. Now portfolio shows them as I put them, until I add them to a "release". Then suddenly the times are changing or the whole ticket is moved etc.. I'd like to see how these delivery times impact on our releases. Is there a way that I can add these component-delivery-ticket to certain releases and having fixed start and end dates? 

Best regards,

Josephina

1 answer

0 votes
samrobertsofficial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2018

Hey @Josephina_Werner, at the moment there is no simple way to set fixed start and end dates for issues, as the tool is aimed for agile use cases. There are some ways you can get close, but it might not work exactly as you want:

If you estimate those issues

The way Portfolio works, an issue's length will depend on the velocity of the team. It might not be possible to exactly get the issue to start and end on a specific day. Using the "Earliest start" + "Due due date" field might help get it closer to what you want. 

If you don't estimate

Check if you have Plan configuration -> Scheduling -> Unestimated item scheduling set to "Base on target dates". Then set target dates as your start and end dates.

Either way

The issue can't have a sprint, release, applied to it otherwise that will influence it's date. 

Hope this helps,

Sam - Portfolio for Jira team

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events