Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do You Utilize Advanced Roadmap For Reporting Needs?

Ricky Wang Lin June 29, 2021

Please see title.  Ever since we've upgraded to Jira 8.17+ and using the new version of Advanced Roadmap (AR), we've been facing challenges generating meaningful reports that help us track work progress in a simple and clean view.

1. According to How Atlassian Uses Advanced Roadmaps video, you'll see that they export out the data into spreadsheet and then use different plug ins to generate reports (around 16:00 in the video).  Is there NOT an easier to do this directly in Jira / Confluence?
  2. There seems to be VERY limited options when it comes to getting reports from Advanced Roadmap.  Below was what I could find:
    1. Confluence:  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221237/advanced-roadmaps-for-jira-in-confluence?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview
      1. The problem with this is that it just gives you the roadmap view.  I just want to be able to see a Pie Chart or Issue Statistics view on how certain work is broken up and that doesn't seem possible with the plug in.
    2. Jira Dashboard: None that I could find.  Same requirements as above.

Bottom line is, can someone share tips and tricks on how to use AR as the single-source-of-truth without having to rely on any third party apps or tedious workaround?  I'm quite well versed in with JQL and think I can build a lot of what I need into filters > dashboards, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using AR?

Appreciate any thoughts

2 answers

1 vote
Jeremy Burton October 5, 2022

in 2022 and this is still a gap. Exporting to excel is great, but too manual to get to simple metrics against a plan.

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2022

Which simple metrics are you talking about? (That require excel)

Like Peter Straub likes this
1 vote
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2021

Hi @Ricky Wang Lin 

I think you have answered your own question.

If you want to have a Pie Chart view of the data contained in a AR plan, then doing it via the confluence macro or dashboard gadget is the way to go about that.

To do so, you would need to build a JQL query that incorporates all the issue sources used to generate the plan you are interested in. As an AR plan is really just a multi-input (Boards, Projects or filters) visualisation of the Jira issues from those inputs......a kind of 3D Jira board (so to speak).

Hopefully this have been helpful?

regards

Curt

Ricky Wang Lin June 29, 2021

Hello Curt.  Thank you for confirming my observation... This is helpful in confirming my sanity, but not super helpful when I'm trying to help our program/leadership team understand what's going on in a simple / easy fashion.

My impression of AR was that I could use it to do a very quick report to answer questions below:

• How much have we done against Task ABC?
  • Are we on track with Task ABC?

Even though AR has a Progress (Issue Count) field in, you need to be in AR view > hover over the field to get a breakdown of issue completion.  Well, that's not very helpful at all when we need to go hover over 1 by 1, or we need to work around it by trying to build that into a Confluence Page or Jira Dashboard.

With the previous reports being removed in the new look, I'm wondering why that made sense for Atlassian to do and how other customers are getting their reporting needs now.

Thanks for the input and if you could expand on your own experience on how using AR now helps your team, I'd be delighted to hear more about it!

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2021

Hey @Ricky Wang Lin 

I think the key word here is "report". I don't see AR as a reporting tool, but rather another way of looking at Jira data.

You are onto it with the "progress (issue count or Story point)" field and for my money, that does provide an at a glance barometer of progress of a feature/initiative...whatever.

But unlike a report, I do see AR as an interactive interface that people can pull relevant info from (as opposed to having a report curated and pushed upon them). So if someone wants more than the barometer of a certain item, they can hover or click on it for more granular detail.

I like how you can group by Releases or by Teams etc. Teams is a good one, especially once you've associated them with their scrum board (as the issue source) so you can see the Sprints and the capacity of each sprint. Again, with the ability to hover or click, to drill down into deeper sprint data

ar2.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events