Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchy using portfolio

PaulaA June 26, 2019

Hi! 

I am trying to configure Jira Portfolio in a way that I have 3 levels. So the first question is, can I have a plan containing another plan or a program containing a program?

In the first level I would like to have only one project that has only one issue type, theme. In the second level I will get initiatives and in the third level epics and stories, tasks,....

A theme can contain multiple initiatives and an initiative can contain all issue types. Based on this: https://www.atlassian.com/agile/project-management/epics-stories-themes

I would like to configure the portfolio in that when I access it and select program (theme) I see all initiatives and all issues in a hierarchy mode (as int he picture attached from the documentation, only 1 theme needed).

prtfolio.png

So far I see the themes and the rest of issues but there seem like there is no link and the view is not really shown the dependencies. I have the messages: "issues without a parent Portfolio" and "issues without a parent Program".

Any help will be very welcome :)

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2019

Hi Paula,

To filter on the themes there is an option under the more drop down menu at the top of the plan:

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 4.23.07 PM.png

After Selecting the Themes Filter option, you can select the desired Theme filter and hierarchy level to see all the issue linked to that particular theme:

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 4.22.53 PM.png

But also worth mentioning here for future planning around themes incase your looking into the new interface (portfolio 3.X +) as the theme functionality is being changed.  In the new experience for portfolio the application is moving away from the dedication to the Themes and theme report settings as an independent trackable item as currently defined in portfolio live plans (portfolio 2.X) and is moving towards using  mix and match grouping and coloring options based on other criteria within the project such as assignees or components.

Additional details on the changes can be seen in "Changes in the improved interface" under the section "Visualizing work using group and color settings" with links to the functional configuration settings for the feature in the new interface documentation space at "Customizing view settings"

Regards,
Earl

PaulaA July 3, 2019

Hi @Earl McCutcheon 

Thank you for the response. Which version are you using? mine is not even similar.

2019-07-03 09_26_13-CTO Portfolio - Portfolio for Jira - JIRA Dev _ SITS - Test02.png

Do you show there the plan or the program? How can i make a similar view as the plan view in the program? Is there a way that users can see the plans? 

Thanks

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2019

Hi Paula,

Thanks for the screenshot, and your on the New Planning Experience (Portfolio 3.0+) and that lines up withe the the second portion of my reply where the theme functionality is currently removed from the new experience, in favor of other grouping and coloring options.

Check out the articles I listed in the last comment for the current functionality in the new experience, but also check out the following Discussion post where Rhys Christian our Portfolio Product manager goes into some detail about the future plans for themes in the new experience, where this is on our roadmap to add back into the new experience from various user feedback loops on the functionality:

But if you need this functionality currently navigate to the plan configuration settings menu, and under "Planning Interface" you can choose to disable the improved interface to swap the plan over to the Live Plan view, You can also choose to switch back and fourth between the planning interface views as much as you like noting a re-calculation / auto-optimize is required between each switch so the schedule will update to a current data alignment with the jira issues based on the additional settings in the plan configuration.

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events