• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Freeze Scope

Hi,

my plan is based on several Jira boards. From these boards I am interested in scheduling some issues (issue 1, 2, 3) of a release (release A) in Portfolio for Jira.

When new issues (issue 4 and 5) are added to a release (which is included as an issue source), I don't want these issues to show up in the scope. Is it possible to freeze the scope, so that no issues are pulled, no matter what?

Thanks and regards,

Phil

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Theus Community Leader Feb 04, 2019

Hi Phil,

I'm new to Portfolio, so this may not be the best way to accomplish this, but here's my suggestion anyway....

• Add a custom field as a yes/no check box to your issue view called "Freeze Program Scope."
  • When you are ready to freeze the scope of the project  do a bulk update of all the issues in the project to change the check box to "Yes."
  • Copy the filters you currently use for the boards and add a clause for "Freeze Scope = Yes"
  • Use the new filter for your Program. 
  • Lock down or hide the "Freeze Scope field so only an admin can update it. 

This should keep your Program limited to the initial scope of the projects while allowing new issues to be added to a project. 

One caveat though...Like I said, I'm new to Portfolio, so i don't know if adding issues that are not part of the frozen scope would have an unintended consequence to the program. I can think of a scenario where a bug or sub task is added to the project that causes an issue from the scope to be delayed or moved to a later sprint, which could impact your program's timeline. 

If you try this make sure you test it out...and post the results here. If it works, please mark the answer as "accepted" so others can find it.

Hope this helps, 

-Scott

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Scott,

thanks for the answer.

I like your suggestion and am pretty sure that this would work. Unfortunately we are not allowed to introduce new custom fields in our project.

Based on your idea I searched for (and found) an existing field that helped me to set a filter that excludes the redundant issues.

Thanks and regards,

Phil

Scott Theus Community Leader Feb 05, 2019

Great, I'm glad I was able to help! Could you mark the answer as "accepted" so others can find it more easily?

-Scott

Scott Theus Community Leader Feb 05, 2019

(Thanks!)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

Introducing Advanced Roadmap’s new dependency report

To see this feature in action check out our recent dependencies demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQu5VsUqyZA Keeping on top of your dependencies is a key part of ensuring project success....

128 views 2 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you