Filter Issue Source driving "AND" logic?

Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2022

We are using AR 8.20.2 for DC.

Is there a method to set a Filter Issue Source as an AND logic??  Meaning I can add multiple scrum boards that may have many stories, but by also adding a Filter Issue Source, I only get issues that both exist on the board AND meet the filter source?

The issue I'm running into is that I am trying to assemble roadmaps for each Initiative which is contained in a program management project, where the execution stories are contained in separate projects for the teams.

I am able to bring the entire Initiative hierarchy into the plan no problem, but I have to also add each scrum board individually to automatically pull in their sprint dates for each story.  We have many teams that contribute to many Initiatives, thus when I pull in their scrum boards, I also get ALL of their stories even if the story does NOT tie into the Initiative set by the Filter Issue Source.  These "orphan" stories continually appear under the "issues with no parent" heading.

I can remove these manually when I first create the roadmap, though it's a pain and takes forever, but when new stories get added to their board, they also start to appear on the roadmap and require CONSTANT maintenance.  They have to be removed in order to have value added feedback by the tool on when releases may be at risk for the particular Initiative in the roadmap as well as other pieces of confusion experienced when you start trying to apply filters or change the viewing level, etc.

Maybe there is a way to add a board for the sprint dates, but not the issues??

I'm at my wits end....

1 answer

0 votes
Sachithra Dangalla
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2022

Hi Aaron,

Currently, the issue sources do not work as "AND" as you have explained. But you may be able to use the following features to ensure unwanted issues are not included in the plan:

1. Use exclusion rules to exclude issues from the plan based on issue type, status, release or completed date. More info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver0820/plans-in-advanced-roadmaps-1095248905.html
  2. Use filters in plan view to restrict the scope of issues displayed in the plan. More info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver0820/filter-issues-in-advanced-roadmaps-1095248968.html
  3. Create a new Filter with a custom query that will return the issues that matches your desired criteria and use that filter as an issue source.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Sachithra

Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2022

@Sachithra Dangalla  Thanks for the response, I had pretty much assumed there was no way to apply AND logic on the issue sources.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think they will provide the mechanization I'm looking for.

1) The available exclusions don't provide the flexibility I would need as I don't want to lose the stories that ARE associated with the Initiative Plan in question and all of the available exclusion mechs would impact those stories.  If the Exclusion mech could accept a JQL, then I could probably fashion a JQL that provided the intended end result.

2) Similarly, this mech also has the consequence of impacting the issues that I DO want shown while trying to filter out the issues I DON'T want shown.

3) This is exactly what I'm doing now, which works great other than I have to also bring in each team scrum board in order to automatically get the Sprint dates on stories to populate.  Which as described above has the unintended consequence of ALSO getting stories that have no association with the Initiative in question as the team works efforts associated with multiple initiatives.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events