Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customised hierarchy

Stefan Koller December 18, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring initiatives and other hierarchy levels

I'd like to create the following hierarchy levels:

1. Initiative (a big strategic topic, covers typically several projets)
    1. Epic (typically a big project)
      1. Story (a part of that project, mostly a specific stage of the projet)
        1. Task (Task within a story or project stage)
          1. Sub-Task (Classical sub-task of a bigger task)

However, I don't know how to change the default hierarchy: 

1. Epic
    1. Story
      1. Sub-Task

I can create an Initiative above Epic, but I cannot introduce a Task between Story and Sub-Task.

How can I adapt the default hierarchy to the 5 levels specified above? Is it possible at all? If nont what would you suggest to get those 5 levels?

Stef

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2016

JIRA does not have a changeable hierarchy. 

JIRA Core allows for Project, Issue/Story, Sub-task.  (You could argue that Category groups projects and you can use components to break down issues within a project into other groups, but I don't see those as hierarchical)

JIRA Software adds Epics to that, converting the issue type to behave as a container for stories and issues.

JIRA Portfolio adds Initiatives.

And that's it really.  You can't wedge other layers in, it's simply not supported, as the hierarchy is hard coded. 

If you're on Server versions, you could add the Structure add-on, as that plays some tricks that makes it look like there are more layers within the Project/Story/Subtask framework, and it does it reliably and clearly.

Stefan Koller December 20, 2016

Thanks Nic, short and clear. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events