Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create new Live Plans in Jira 8.20 LTS

Matthias Kannenberg November 24, 2022

We recently upgraded from Jira 8.13 LTS to 8.20 LTS (Datacenter) and I seem to not be able to create new Advanced Roadmap Live Plans.

Before the upgrade I would simply create a new plan and revert to the old live plan interface but that option seems to be missing now and Avanced Roadmaps was migrated from an installed plugin to a system component, so I can not downgrade to an older version.

Is there still a way to create new live plans (even through some hack or API) in Jira 8.20 Datacenter?

We are aware that live plans are depricated and will not exist in Jira 9 but our existing Live Plans are still working fine and the the new "improved" interface is still pretty unusable and lacks basic features (like per-person capacity planing, default size for issues, value role-downs..).

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I found the necessary REST API to convert the new plan type to an old live plans even with 8.20.

But this method should be concidered a hack and is neither supported nor intended by the developer, so procede with caution and at your own risk and do extensive testing in a non-productive environment.

All that is needed is a POST request against the following endpoint

https://<your-jira-instance-host>/jira/rest/jpo/1.0/plans/<id>/update

using this request body:

{"portfolioPlanVersion":{"value":0}}
and using your personal access token as bearer token for authentication.
Replace your instance host accordingly and for <id> use the ID of the plan you want to convert. The plan's ID can be found as id parameter in the URL when you open your plan (not the sid or vid). It can be verified by using a GET on https://<your-jira-instance-host>/jira/rest/jpo-api/1.0/plan/<id>.

@Sebastian GayerI don't know if this is still relevant for you but I found you asking the same question (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Advanced-Roadmaps-questions/Disable-improved-interface-in-Advance-Roadmaps-8-20/qaq-p/2032221) while researching the issue. Here is your actual answer.

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2022

Hi @Matthias Kannenberg Live Plans are no longer supported, they were part of Portfolio for Jira 2.x. So there is no way to create new Live Plans.

Jira Live Plans are still supported in 8.20 and only go away fully in 9, but it seems the button to create (or rather, revert to the old liveplan ui) new live plans was removed between 8.13 and 8.20 to nudge people to use the new ones.

But Live Plans work fine in 8.20 and we have quite a few in use.

Since I can't use the new ones (because of missing features), I was looking for a way to use a Jira feature that is still officially supported and was wondering if there are any workarounds or APIs that could be used.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events