Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy a field value from Initiative to Epic when Epic ticket is parent linked to Initiative

Kay March 3, 2020

Hello Community,

Can you please advise how can I copy a field value from Initiative to Epic? Epic ticket is linked to Initiative through "parent link". I can do that with Epic to Story without any issues, using the Copy Value From Other Copy Value From Other Field Post-Function and Automation Rule, but when it comes to Initiative issuetype it doesn't do anything. Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thank you .

Kay, 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2020

Hello @Kay ,

There are some fields that are baked into the base functionality of Portfolio directly to alter the Base Jira behavior and do not live as a traditional field types for Jira, as they have additional functionality outside the traditional field types and exist in different locations of the database to complete the special functions.  The "Parent Link" field is one of these Special Portfolio field types used to map a standard issue type to the higher hierarchy levels.

Because of this the "Parent Link" field is not a searchable field by many add-ons including automation for Jira, so you won't be able to do this like you described.

The Functionality needed to use the field in this manner is being tracked in the following Feature Request in both Jira Cloud and Server respectively, I am adding both incase anyone else runs into this thread looking for a solution on the alternate platform:

Regards,
Earl

2 votes
Hristina Valcheva August 17, 2020

Hello @Kay 

I'm looking for an Automation rule which can copy a value from a cascading type field of an Epic to its child tasks (issuetype Story), can you please share your code for this with me?
Thank you in advance!

Kind Regards

Hrisi

Lisa Schaffer May 27, 2021

Hi there,

You can use this:

{
"fields": {
"Client": {
"value": "{{issue.Client.value}}",
"child": {
"value": "{{issue.Client.child.value}}"
}
}
}

--------

"Client" = Name of Field

Client.value = first value in cascade drop down menu

Client.child.value = second drop down menu value

--------

Also check out Ravi's video here:  https://www.ravisagar.in/videos/jira-cloud-automation-copy-cascading-select-list-sub-task

It's for a sub-task but you can adjust for copying from an Epic.

Good Luck!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events