Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure user weekly schedule

Adam G January 28, 2018

Hi,

Is there anyway to configure a users weekly work schedule besides using "exceptions" (in users)?

Example: user works:

- Tuesday: 4 hours

- Wednesday: 8 hours

- Thursday: 6 hours.

This schedule  wold be for the next 6 moths so doing it manual would be crazy.

any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2018

Hi Adam,

True. On the other hand, Portfolio is about longer term planning / capacity management / forecasting for teams, projects, even programs. In your example, your user's capacity would just be 18 hours per week. For 6 months. On a 6 month horizon, the fact that these 18 hours are being spent only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays becomes less important than the fact your user is capable to contribute 18 hours a week.

As such, it might be interesting to consider entering exceptions as 'reduced/increased capacity' in terms of hours available in certain weeks rather than trying to produce an exact schedule. If you configure exceptions, make sure they are indeed 'exceptions' from the usual situation.

Adam G January 28, 2018

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply.

My concern is making delivery dates on tasks.  And that is why I feel the actual days in the week this specific dev is available is important.

That way if I use portfolio and assign a task for Monday for this dev, I should get alert that dev is not available on Monday.

If no alert would show then my client  would except the task to be ready Tuesday morning which would not happen.

Anyway to address my concern?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2018

Hi @Adam G,

There's many different ways you can manage this. Although not explicit, I hear you say this specific user is being assigned tasks that he alone is responsible for. So assigning those tasks, setting due dates and using a dashboard for him to track those tasks and due dates will help you get a long way already.

I can imagine that you will most likely have more users on your team that you are planning / tracking work for. Sprints on a scrum board could help you focus your team(s) on a limited scope in a given time frame. Another way to track work with standard Jira functionality.

Coming to the detailed planning level where you want to fulfil the need or desire to assign work to people on specific dates, the Atlassian Marketplace has apps offering different kinds of planning features (Planner apps on Atlassian Marketplace). 

As an example, Tempo Planner is one that helps you schedule work for individuals on specific dates. And detailed work schedules for (groups of) people can be configured.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events