Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capacity management plans.

Bo Sanchez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 13, 2021

I am looking to start using the advanced roadmap \ plans  (sprint capacity management view) 

using hours as the measure and estimating tasks in hours

and am expecting to get these 2 benefits

setting team capacity in hours for the sprint

• when planning a sprint as each issue issue into the sprint - the team capacity is filled and it shows when the capacity is exceeded by adding a story
    • this bit has worked
  • when sprinting I was expecting
    • the hours logged against tasks to reduce the teams capacity
    • when tasks take longer than original estimates or are re estimated  the teams capacity to be reduced accordingly - e.g. I have a task estimated at 10 hours I book 8 hours to the task and estimate the task as having 4 hours remaining
      • in this case I expect that the capacity of the sprint will be reduced by 8 hours as this has been used and the allocated hours will be reduced by 6  leaving reducing the amount of free unallocated hours by 2 (as the work has increased from 10 to 12 hours)
    • What seems to be actually happening is almost the opposite
      • the capacity stays as it was originally entered  and the amount allocated is reduced by 2
      • this then shows the sprint as having more space rather than less space
        • so as the sprint goes on it looks as if its almost empty and we could add more stories 

1 answer

0 votes
Maria
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 27, 2021

Hi @Bo Sanchez ,

I'm Tania from the Planyway team:)

I think Planyway might work very well for you as it lets you visualize and manage your Jira workload and has the time tracking to compare estimates vs actual time spent. Exactly what you described, right?

1) The Workload is based on the estimations and the daily capacity you set up in Settings. When you open the Workload tab, all Jira issues that are estimated will get the indicators on the top. They will show you whether someone has more hours left to be allocated, over allocated or if everything is ok. Then, if you'd like to optimize it, you can just stretch issues to the right or left (this way you change duration) so that they recalculate. 
Displaying workload in Planyway Workload Tab

Here's more information about Workload: https://planyway.com/jira/help/features/displaying-workload-in-planyway-for-jira 

2)You can also notice that in case you turn on Estimation and Tracked time fields, they show up in the cards, so you can check the current status at any moment. If you exceed the estimation, it'll be highlighted.
Planyway time tracking for Jira Fields
Here's more information about Time Tracking: https://planyway.com/jira/help/features/planyway-time-tracking-for-jira#two-views-calendar-and-list

Feel free to ask any question below or just get in touch at support@planyway.com 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events