Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capacity Management and Team members history availability

Ludovic Pitiot August 3, 2021

Hello,

We're currently using Jira Advanced Roadmaps for our projects/capacity management.

Our Project Managers appreciate it but they would like to have a better Team capacity management.

I mean, through the Teams/Shared Teams of Advanced Roadmap you can specify entry/leaving date of members, and consequently impacts the Team Capacity regarding the same planning.

Example Team A has 3 members, each ones working 40 hours per week on July on Project X.
The team Capacity will be 120 hours on July.
In August one member leave the Team, so the capacity passes to 80 hours on August.

How can we reflect this history and behavior in Advanced Roadmap ?

Thanks,
Best Regards,

Ludovic

3 answers

2 votes
Angus Russell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Ludovic Pitiot 

In Advanced Roadmaps, you can set the team's capacity on a per-sprint(/iteration) basis.

First, set a default team capacity for the team by editing the team under the "Teams" view.

Then back on the roadmap, group your plan by "Team" and make sure the "Show capacity on timeline" view setting is checked.

You should then see the sprints for each time on the timeline.

Click on a sprint to see the sprint's details (capacity, assigned issues, etc). Click on the capacity value to override the default capacity for this sprint.

There's no concept of team member absences or per-team-member capacity in Advanced Roadmaps, but it is something we're going to start looking at soon.

Thanks,

Angus

0 votes
Colin East January 28, 2024

I've restarted using Atlassian after about a year and half. A key piece of functionality that was part of the Jira premium suite was individual capacity planning (in Portfolio/Advanced Road Maps). I've now learned that this functionality has been removed and agree with others who are saying this is a big mistake.

I believe the root cause is the mixing of methodologies! The decision to base capacity planning on sprints and teams is agile thinking. However, Advanced Road Maps is more aligned with Waterfall. If you forecast the tasks that will be included in a sprint then aren't you waterfalling using sprints!?!!?

I believe there is a middle ground here somewhere but individual capacity planning is fundamental to the waterfall approach so Atlassian needs to just put is back. I'd also suggest that Team estimates ought to be based on an aggregation of the more atomic level - individuals. Anyway, just an opinion.

Could a picture of an individual's capacity be improved be creating a Team of one (bear with me). That Team-of-one is a member of a project based on Jira Software and a workstream 'project' based on Jira Work Management that captures the leave of individuals. A plan then contains both project tasks and leave as a task.

The limitation is that you will not be able to visualise this without sprints, even if you are just using KanBan. Also, I'm not sure if auto-schedule will be able to work with this.

0 votes
Ludovic Pitiot August 4, 2021

Hi Angus,

Thanks you for your reply.

However regarding your answer on the teams, the functionality exists but is not usable in Plan ?

Thanks
Ludovic

Shared Teams.png

Angus Russell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2021

Hi @Ludovic Pitiot,

The information is used in the old planning interface (Live Plans) but not in the improved interface (Advanced Roadmaps).

Live Plans has been retired on Jira Cloud, and will be removed in a future LTS version of Jira Server.

Thanks,

Angus

Narender Singh September 15, 2022

Hello Angus,

Bur precisely, this is the problem we have in our organization. 

If a team member is on leave for 2 weeks, we need to adjust manually in each sprint. This is some work for the Portfolio or Project Manager, if the team size is bigger to keep calculating the number of team members on Leave and update every time. This should have been automated.  

Also, there is no Mass update of absence which is another pain point if this need to be maintained for many team members.

Kindly consider this and provide us better way forward on this topic.

Thanks and best regards,

Narender

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events