Can you change settings so dependencies drive date changes?

Jose Bohorquez May 3, 2022

If one task is blocked by another (i.e. dependency exists), most project management tools cause the dependent tasks to push if the blocking task changes.

For example, initially Task 2 (Start 5/5, End: 5/7) is blocked by Task 1 (Start 5/2, End 5/4)

If I then push the end date of Task 1 to 5/8, I would expect the Start date of Task 2 to automatically move to 5/9. Is there a way to do that in Jira?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2022

Hi @Jose Bohorquez 

Yes, but you'd need Automation to help you do this.

What's available depends on your hosting type:

• Cloud: Native Automation will be able to do this
  • Data Center: Automation will be able to do this, but it isn't native yet, it's coming before 30th June 2022 - see this article for more information
  • Server: There's no native option for this platform type, given it is EOL

For DC/Server, you could use the Automation app from the Marketplace - for DC use it as a free trial until it becomes native - or use a different automation app, such as Scriptrunner

Assuming you have access to standard Automation - this is how you could do it:

• Trigger: Field Value Changed
    • Field: Start Date
  • Branch: Linked Issues = blocks
    • Action: Edit Issue
      • Start Date - copy from Trigger Issue
        • Copy from... operation is available via the 3-dots icon

You can customise the rule as needed around other fields, etc.

Note: If the Issues can be in multiple Jira Projects:

• You'll need to use a Global Automation rule, created via Jira Settings > System > Global Automation
  • Global Automation rules have execution limits if you are on Cloud, depending on your plan type:
    • Free = 100 per month
    • Standard = 500 per month
    • Premium = 1000 per paid user, per month (eg. 200 users = 200K)
    • Enterprise = Unlimited

Let us know if this helps, or if you need any specific help with setting up the rule!

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events