Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can scrum teams in portfolio have different length of sprint?

MikaVesalainen November 20, 2019

I have multiple projects in Jira. Also I have multiple teams, but have not installed portfolio at least yet.

For each projects, multiple teams makes increments in.

For each team, increments are made for multiple projects.

The teams have responsibilities for their own area and not shared over the teams.

The teams would like to define their sprint independently. Some teams would like to have 2 weeks sprint starting on Wednesday, and some other 3 weeks sprints starting on Friday. Can I configure this somehow with Jira? Speicifcally if I define teams by using Portfolio plugin?

So far I have assumed the only way to have an own definition for sprint duration and switch date in JIRA is to have a separate JIRA project for it. But could portfolio solve this problem? Or can this be solved in JIRA some other way,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2019

Hey Mika,

Great question. The short answer is yes, each team can have its own board, sprints, and sprint dates. The way Jira is structured is as follows:

Project>Board>Sprint

You can have multiple boards in each Jira project since boards are a filtered project.

In Portfolio you would be able to define teams and associate them with your boards.

Having different sprint lengths and start dates is Possible in Jira, and Portfolio would support it.

You can find out more here:

Creating a board in Jira - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/creating-a-board-938845220.html

Managing sprints in Portfolio- https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/understanding-sprints-974360324.html

Please let me know if that makes sense,

Roi | Product Manager

MikaVesalainen November 20, 2019

Thanks Roi,

This makes sense, and I am able to confirm everything you propose. I can see how this works if there is a single Project and multiple teams. Or even if there are multiple Projects and those are implemented by separate team(s).

But in our case there are same teams which implements increments in multiple Projects.

So we have a Jira Project for each company project, and also a Jira Project for each team. Now one solution is to collect stories from company project backlog to team project sprints. The other solution is to create Issues directly to team project and just mark that in which project they belong (with custom field). But these both seems to me like hacks or workarounds and I was wondering is portfolio plugin solving this issue somehow.

But thanks for your information, it helped anyway already.

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

Hey @MikaVesalainen ,

No worries.

>  But in our case there are some teams that implement increments in multiple Projects.

You can create a board that has issues from different Jira projects. Please see this previous community post - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Is-it-possible-to-create-a-board-across-multiple-projects/qaq-p/195403

Please let me know if that makes sense,

Roi

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events