Can moving issues on Kanban reflect progression?

Ward_Ward April 6, 2020

I know that progress of an issue can measured using time based estimates, for example:

Start Date  +  End Date  +  Original Estimate  +  Actual time spent

I would like to know if it's possible to measure progress (and update in the progress column) by issues moving through the kanban board itself? For example: a four column Kanban where an issue moves through and the progress is updated 25%, 50%, 75% etc...

Thanks for any insights! 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2020

Hello @Ward_Ward

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you please let us know if you are using a Next-gen or Classic project?

Please, allow me to bring you some concepts and questions so we can better understand we are on the same page here:

I'm afraid that the time tracking functionality can only be measured against the own time tracking fields (Time Spent, Original estimate, etc) and not in a "per status/column" base.

However, you can create a custom field to add any other type of estimation, as a percentage that is updated based on the status of the issue (Using the automation feature under project settings > Automation) in case you are only looking for a display of your issue progress based in the status of the issue itself.

That being said, maybe the custom field option would not be useful if you want to use Jira reports based on the custom field values. 

Can you please give us more details about the goals and scenario you are looking for so we can provide you with more details and other suggestions to achieve your need?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events