Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i define the hierarchy under epic

sudheer April 23, 2018

Can i define the hierarchy under epic?

Currently i can manage Business Requirement->Epic->Feature/Story->Sub-task  But i need the hierarchy like Business Requirement->Epic->Feature->Story->Task/Sub-Task

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2018

Hello @sudheer

You can have the hierarchy you want, using the "Issue linking" feature. From your hierarchy it seems that you are trying to implement the "SAFe" framework in JIRA which is fine as well but I personally recommend to stick to "Epic<->Story" hierarchy in JIRA because it's so tightly coupled in JIRA.

So when you move the Epic an level up and have the hierarchy Epic -> Feature -> Story then you loose the Epic<->Story coupling which will lead to confusion once you start using the system at a larger scale. Because you have fields like Epic Name, Epic Link and on boards it's Epic Panel and in plugins like SR there are JQL functions like "issuesInEpic" etc

So there is a tradeoff when going forward with this approach. My preferred hierarchy is

"Initiative -> Epic -> Story -> Sub-Task" , it works well with JIRA and with plugins.

sudheer April 24, 2018

@Tarun Sapra Thanks for the information but my client requesting the above flow.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2018

No, Jira does not have sub-tasks of sub-tasks.

sudheer April 24, 2018

My qsn is under Epic i want to create Feature and under Feature i want to create Story and for that story i want to create Task. Is it possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2018

Yes. 

Assuming you have a default Jira, you already have an issue type called task, and it's a parent level one.  You will need to rename that to something else, then you will be able to create "task" as a sub-task type and use it beneath Stories.

sudheer April 24, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- But how can i remove the Task from parent group, Could you please help me on this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2018

You rename it to something else.  Or delete it (and tell Jira what other types to swap the existing tasks to)

1 vote
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2018
sudheer April 24, 2018

Hi @Suhas P

I can't define the hierarchy under Epic using Portfolio for JIRA, We can define the hierarchy above Epic.

drB July 13, 2018

I wonder why Atlassian is sticking to a fixed hierarchy epic-user story -task? It's not agile at all to do so but more just annoying. With other issue management systems, you set up in seconds any hierarchy you want....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events