Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an Epic be assigned to multiple Shared Teams in Portfolio?

Kelly Schuknecht January 23, 2018

Our IT group is organized into 13 functional agile teams. As projects come into the queue, they are divided up into work that can be done by multiple teams based on the services or UIs that need to be updated. We would like to create one set of Epics for the project, then determine which teams have work to help complete each Epic. We are about to implement Portfolio for Jira, and would like to set up each of our functional teams as a shared team so that we can view the project work across those teams. This is working great in our testing at the story level, but we are only able to assign one Shared Team to an Epic, so it does not show up in any of the plans for the other teams.

I'm wondering if we are using Portfolio and the Shared Team concept in the way it was designed. Can you provide any insight?

Thanks!

Kelly - FirstBank

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2018

Hi @Kelly Schuknecht,

You can only manually assign one team to an issue (may it be an epic or a story) in Portfolio, the intention of manually assigning being: "Don't try to figure it out for me, this is the team that will be working on it".

I understand in your case the interesting part might be more the roll-up of teams used in the epics children, in which case I'd suggest not trying to assign manually a team a let it roll up in your plan. You might also wanna ensure the issue sources include those epics without a team on top of the filtered stories you already have.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers,

Thomas

Kelly Schuknecht January 25, 2018

Hello Thomas!

I did not previously understand how the teams would roll up to the Epic level, but I actually just figured that out earlier today. Thank you!

Cheers

Kelly

Matthew Murphy July 22, 2020

Kelly, do you mind sharing your findings?  I am also structured in this way.

Thanks!

Kelly Schuknecht September 9, 2020

Hi Matthew,

We assign the Shared Team at the Story level and then assign the parent Epic. If there are stories under the Epic with different teams assigned, the Epic will show in Portfolio for Jira as having multiple Shared Teams working on it.

I hope this helps!

Kelly

miquel October 27, 2020

Thanks Kelly! It helped us as well :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events