Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create an issue hierarchy level above epic without using Portfolio?

Ryan McBryde November 29, 2018

I would like to create a level above Epic in standard JIRA.

Is it possible to do that, without plugins, or using Portfolio.

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2018

Hey Ryan,

No, without Portfolio you are not able to create issues above an Epic.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-software-evaluator-resources/jira-software-hierarchy

Tyler

Ryan McBryde November 29, 2018

Thanks for the quick answer Tyler!

Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2018

Hi Ryan, it depends on the exact solution you are building. You can actually create the hierarchy in Jira using the standard Jira Software features. For example, you can create a specific issue type that you will use for your top level tasks and use one the existing issue links or create a new issue link type that you'll be using specifically to connect your top level items to Epics. 

There are two limitations this approach has:

1. You won't be able to restrict the links creation in any way - the users will be able to use the wrong link type to connect your higher level issues to epics. So users will need to be careful and use the correct link when they do it.

2. There is no easy way to see the full hierarchy in Jira, but then the question is how you want to use it. There are a number of approaches and third party apps you can use to get some reports out of it. Again - it's all about the task you are trying to solve.

Just my 2c.

Regards,

Eugene

Like # people like this
0 votes
Gaurav Chahar March 29, 2020

Hi,

I have similar question, I am trying to create a level above Epic and I don't see the option for portfolio for my JIRA cloude version, how would I create a top level?

Thanks

Gaurav

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events