• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I create an issue hierarchy level above epic without using Portfolio?

I would like to create a level above Epic in standard JIRA.

Is it possible to do that, without plugins, or using Portfolio.

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler Brown Community Leader Nov 29, 2018

Hey Ryan,

No, without Portfolio you are not able to create issues above an Epic.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-software-evaluator-resources/jira-software-hierarchy

Tyler

Thanks for the quick answer Tyler!

Hi Ryan, it depends on the exact solution you are building. You can actually create the hierarchy in Jira using the standard Jira Software features. For example, you can create a specific issue type that you will use for your top level tasks and use one the existing issue links or create a new issue link type that you'll be using specifically to connect your top level items to Epics. 

There are two limitations this approach has:

1. You won't be able to restrict the links creation in any way - the users will be able to use the wrong link type to connect your higher level issues to epics. So users will need to be careful and use the correct link when they do it.

2. There is no easy way to see the full hierarchy in Jira, but then the question is how you want to use it. There are a number of approaches and third party apps you can use to get some reports out of it. Again - it's all about the task you are trying to solve.

Just my 2c.

Regards,

Eugene

Like # people like this

Hi,

I have similar question, I am trying to create a level above Epic and I don't see the option for portfolio for my JIRA cloude version, how would I create a top level?

Thanks

Gaurav

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

Introducing Advanced Roadmap’s new dependency report

To see this feature in action check out our recent dependencies demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQu5VsUqyZA Keeping on top of your dependencies is a key part of ensuring project success....

121 views 2 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you