Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create a project portfolio in Jira w/ multiple team boards under a portfolio?

Trevor Overstreet June 16, 2022

I am trying to create a project portfolio in Jira that will allow me to have multiple team boards which can submit form requests to a parent board which will then allocate that work to other child boards. So a 3 tier approach

Ex:

-Team 1, team 2, team 3, team 4, etc. have access to the same intake form and have their own project boards to follow their tasks once submitted (may can use a portal page for this). These teams cannot have access to the actual ticket.

-The request is then routed to a parent project board.

-A client manager will then determine which board(s) (Team A, Team B, Team C) to route the tasks to be worked (maybe this can be automated?). There could be multiple teams (ex Team A and Team C) working on the same tasks so I need the ability for multiple boards to have visibility into the task

Thank you for any advice/ help

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2022

Advanced roadmap mostly works well with Jira software. However, you can use it across other Jira applications to plan your projects at a higher level by creating a plan.  The issues are sourced from a filter that you have on Jira and those issues are then rendered on the Advanced roadmap plan. 

From what I understood from your description, you meant that from a JSM portal a request can be created. Then an automation can duplicate that request ticket into a project board as Jira issue and such board is then used as an issue source in Advanced roadmap. Then that sounds like something that's workable.

You will first need to come up with a structured plan and kick start a solution stream towards that plan.

1. From the portal, you can configure your JSM project to receive these requests the way you desire.
  2. Create an automation rule that will create a ticket in the specific Jira board when a new request is received on the JSM project. You can use labels or components to route tickets to certain teams. Helps with a proper decision making condition
  3. These teams must already have access (i.e view, edit, update issues) to these boards, then collaborating should be feasible.
  4. If multiple boards, then you have to configure the project permissions using project roles so only the specific team that has access to view these issues.
  5. From your plan as a program manager, you can then get an idea of which team is working on what and if any milestone can be achieved within a given timeframe.
Trevor Overstreet June 21, 2022

Hi Prince! Thank you for responding. When researching advanced roadmap I'm not seeing the "Plans" dropdown menu. Guessing I need some type of premium for this action? We currently have jira software, JSM, work mgmt, product discovery and confluence.

You definitely helped me in the right direction. I'm building out the automation but running into issues when trying to copy the form from the parent task into another project board. Still working on this part

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/roadmaps?tab=advanced

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 4.46.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-21 at 4.47.18 PM.png

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2022

Yes, you most definitely need to be on a premium plan to use Advanced roadmap. Good luck with your configuration.

Like Trevor Overstreet likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events