Can I add another numeric field to the issue preview besides Story point estimate?

Kyle Chalmers June 1, 2022

When examining the backlog screen, I want to be able to see my pain and frequency values in addition to the story points estimates? In fact I would prefer one of those other two values as opposed to Story point estimate? Is there a way I can add them or interchange them with what is being displayed currently with the preview showing Story Point estimate?

Screenshot #1

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 9.53.56 AM.png

Screenshot #2Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 9.54.34 AM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2022

Hi @Kyle Chalmers -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You appear to be using a team-managed project.  Is that correct?

If so, customizing the displayed fields on boards/backlogs is not yet possible.  You may watch/vote for this suggestion to add that feature: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17336

Kind regards,
Bill

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

Good pick-up @Bill Sheboy 👍

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Kyle Chalmers June 2, 2022

Thank you both! It is a team managed project. Would either of you @Curt Holley or @Bill Sheboy know how to call "Story points estimate" in an advanced calculation for altering a field within an automation? I would like to add my Frequency Value and Pain Value scores together and place them into the "Story points estimate" field. Thanks!

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/advanced-field-editing-using-json/

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2022

Hi, Kyle. 

You found the correct page with examples for the JSON edit of that field.  The tricky part is often confirming the name of the smart values (spacing and case-sensitivity), and this how-to can help with that: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/

For story point estimate, you could try this, substituting in whatever you find for the names of your other custom fields (or their custom field ids):

{ 
"fields": {
"Story point estimate": {{issue.Frequency value.plus(issue.Pain value)}}
}
}

Kyle Chalmers June 3, 2022

I am getting this error in the audit log when I tried implementing the above solution - can Story point estimate be edited in an advanced calculation?

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 11.36.10 AM.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2022

To isolate what is causing this, let's check two things:

First, please post an images of your complete rule and the audit log details for the execution.  That will help identify if the correct issue type is being used for the edit.

Next, Story Point Estimate is definitely not available in the rule drop-down lists (yet), so perhaps it cannot be used in the JSON either.  Please use this how-to article to determine the custom field ID for your Story Point Estimate field, and then use the custom field ID instead in the JSON: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/

Kyle Chalmers June 7, 2022

This was exactly what I needed! I figured it out by using the custom field names and that resolved everything. That finding the smart value was exactly what I needed and you can edit the Story points field using the custom field ID. Below is the ultimate conclusion since I decided to do a few more advanced calculations to resolve my issue further :)

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10016": {{#=}}(({{"customfield_10113"}} + {{"customfield_10112"}})/8) - ({{"customfield_10117"}}/21){{/}}
}
}

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

While not resolving the issue of displaying a different field, I was able to automatically populate story points estimate with another numeric value.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2022

I am glad to learn that helped.  Please consider marking this question as "answered" to help others with similar needs find solutions faster.  Thanks!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2022

If you pin your custom field in the view, doesn't it display?

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

Hi @Kyle Chalmers 

Welcome to the community!

You can display up to 3 extra fields on the backlog view.

Go to Board settings/Card layout/Backlog and select your fields.

You should also be able to add them to your Advanced Roadmap Plans.

Go to fields/manage custom fields and search for them and add them. Then you will be abe to add them and filter on them in your plan.

I do have a team managed project so unfortunately this did not work for me!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events