Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Automation set the Team field when an issue is assigned?

Mark.Stewart February 17, 2021

Using Advanced Roadmaps we have set up a Shared Team with 2 people in it. I would like to set the Team field in an issue when one of these people is assigned to an issue.

Otherwise it becomes a manual task to update the Team field which seems redundant as we already know what team they are in.

Automation would need to look up if this person is in a Team and then set the Team field.

Assumes that a person can only be assigned to 1 team. 

9 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2021

Hi @Mark.Stewart

I'm afraid that this isn't possible at the moment. While it might be possible to set the Team field via Automation, there isn't any means for looking up if that person is in a Team at this time.

Cheers,

Simeon.

Dave Furlani February 18, 2024

Actually it can be solved, as other answers below describe, in particular the response from @Ansari_ Amir below

Maria Jose Villota March 7, 2024

@Mark.Stewart I have the same question as you. I have users divided into different Teams and if the assignee of an issue changes, I want Jira to automatically change the Team field as well. I use Teams to group tasks in the Plans view. I reviewed @Ansari_ Amir 's response below and it only applies when an issue is created, not when an issue is updated. I looked at the Automation options and don't see a way to do this, if you've found a way let me know! 

11 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

This can definitely be solved with Automation for Jira (if you have?)

Trigger= Issue Created

User condition (where you add all the team members)

Action = Edit issue (currently needs to configured via the more options section with a bit of json) see below

Note: you need to know your teams number

image-20200901-233920.png

Curt,

thanks for the feedback. I can update the Team value. That's all good.

What I want to do is lookup the Team value of the person who has been assigned to an issue and then assign that value to the Team field. This avoids users having to update both the Assignee and Team fields as we already know what Team a person is assigned to (assuming a person can only be assigned to 1 team). 

As per Simeon's response I don't think this is currently possible. 

I will look to a process change to set the Team value when the issues are first created.

Thanks again.

Wolfgang Seidler May 20, 2022

I've tried all different kind of formats, but the automation keeps failing with "Team" not being recognised as valid field.

Failing attempts:

Additional fields contains invalid field(s) in 'update' or 'fields' section: Team

{     "fields": {         "customfield_12500": { "id": 4 }     } }

{     "fields": {         "customfield_12500": { "id": "4" }     } }

{     "fields": {         "customfield_12500": "4"     } }

{     "fields": {         "customfield_12500": 4     } }

{     "fields": {         "Team": "4"     } }

{     "fields": {         "Team": { "id": "4" }     } }

{     "fields": {         "Team": { "id": 4 }     } }

{     "fields": {         "Team": 4     } }

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for help!

Like lorenzo_betto likes this
Patrick May 30, 2022

Hi @Wolfgang Seidler,

I've been struggling to get it work using some of the suggestions in this thread as well.  Using the custom field ID for Team just didn't work at all (kept erroring, saying that Team needs to be a string).  What has worked for me is @Curt Holley format above:

{
"fields": {
"Team": "16"
}
}

For reference, the json for the Team field in my target issue was this:

"customfield_10001":{"id":"16","title":"The Name Of My Team","isShared":true}
Like # people like this
Prasad Kawadkar May 15, 2023

It worked like a charm!
Thanks for this, Curt!

Dave Furlani August 27, 2023

I feel like this is a stupid question I should or do already know the answer to... how do you get the team# to use in the additional fields JSON?

Like lorenzo_betto likes this
Erika Palmaer January 23, 2024

I found it within the Team Page URL

Katherine Fuller February 20, 2024

If I am reading this right, does this mean that we need to create an automation for each possible assignee?

1 vote
Guy Anela March 11, 2024

We had a similar request from one of our teams. They requested to have an Automation setup that sets the Team to a specific Team if the Assignee belongs to that Team; otherwise, set it to a default Team. For example, the Project has two teams that work out of it:

• Team A (default team)
  • Team B (team for specialized work)

If the Assignee gets set to a member of Team B, then set the Team to Team B, else set it to Team A.

Here's a screenshot of the overall Automation:

CommunityExample-ScreenshotNew.png

You'll notice that the Automation makes a call to the Teams Members Public API using a Send web request Action. This is used to get the Members of the Team so it can check the Assignee against it. It sends a POST request to the following REST API endpoint...

https://[YOUR CLOUD SITE].atlassian.net/gateway/api/public/teams/v1/org/[ENTER YOUR ORG ID]/teams/{ENTER YOUR TEAM ID]

Again, here's a link to the Teams Members Public API for more information on the endpoint.

Once, it gets the Members, it stores them in a variable using the following Smart Value from the Web Response (See red arrow in the above screenshot).

{{webResponse.body.results.accountId}} 

Anyhow, I hope this helps or at least steers you in the right direction. :) Cheers!

1 vote
Ansari_ Amir February 16, 2024

I found a solution, please follow the below steps. Thank me later :)

Requirement: Need to automatically assign tickets to specific groups upon creation.

Step1: Create a group by locating the “Teams” option on the navigation bar in Jira.

Step 2: Once you have created the groups, associate the Teams custom field with the desired screens of your project and attach it to the issue view of your ticket from Request Types.

Now we need to setup Jira Automation to automatically assign the ticket to the desired group upon creation.
Step 1: Go to Automation under your project settings and click on Create Rule button.

Step 2: Search and select “issue created” in the trigger section.

Step 3: Click on “IF: Add a condition“ and select “JQL condition“

Step 4: Type in the below highlighted JQL query and click on “Next“.

Query:
issuetype = "[System] Service request with approvals" OR issuetype = "Employee onboarding"

Note: You can find the issue types by going to issue types in your project settings.

Step 5: Click on “THEN: Add an action” and search and select “Edit issue“

Step 6: Under Choose fields to set select “Assignee“

Step 7: Click on “More options“, and uncheck “Send notifications?” and put in the below-mentioned JQL script.

Query:

{
"customfield_10001" : "7ec8fedc-dd3d-4d8c-ba44-231cc605c697"
}
}

Note:
1. The above highlighted customfield_10001 is the customfield id of your team custom field.

You can locate this customfield in the url field of your team customfield page. (Click on the 3 dots on the extreme right and click on "View field Information"

The above highlighted alphanumeric text is the team id (7ec8fedc-dd3d-4d8c-ba44-231cc605c697) of your specific team that you need to set as the default assigned group.
You can locate this team id in url field of your team’s page.

Step 8: Click on “Turn on rule”

Step 9: Create a ticket from the customer portal to see your team automation rule in action.

1 vote
Filipi Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2022

Hey, folks,

I was exploring this for a client and also out of curiosity and I see you can check the Team value using this smart value:

• Disclaimer - tested on Data Center, not Cloud. It should work the same way, though.
{{issue.Team}}

Keep in mind that the customfield value for it is the Team ID, which you can find on:

select * from "AO_82B313_TEAM";

And if you want to set the Team field you'll need to know the ID beforehand. You'll need to use the more options > Additional fields section and use this format like @Simmo shared a while ago:

{
"Team": "8"
}
}
}

On my simple example, I see if there's a current value for Team and, if empty, set it to "8" which is the Team I want. Here's how it looks:

image.png

lorenzo_betto December 27, 2023

Don't you have an extra closing curly bracket in your example? 

0 votes
Amy Chang April 16, 2024

Trigger: When Value Changed - Assignee

IF: Assignee is one of Person A, or Person B

THEN: Edit Issue Field

• Advanced:
    • {
      "customfield_10001": "PUT TEAM ID HERE"
      }
      }
Maria Jose Villota April 17, 2024

Thanks Amy! This worked like a charm :)

For future readers: I followed these instructions to find the custom field ID. 

0 votes
Alexander Jaeger April 10, 2024

After much trial and error - this worked for me:

{
"customfield_10800" : "17551"
}
}

I kept getting the error "operation must be string"

In addition to the previous posters - These resources were helpful :

• This helped show how the different ways in which I could refer to the value of the field
  • This talks about the issue / solution too that might help those on Cloud w/ JIRA Align 
  • Finding how your instance refers to the customfield -
    • https://<JIRA BASE URL>/rest/api/2/issue/ISSUEKEY-1234
    • ^^make sure the custom field is set in the ISSUE KEY

0 votes
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021
Rene C_ _Atlassian Cloud Support_
Atlassian Team
May 30, 2022

I believe this is for a different topic. The post is about Advanced Roadmaps teams, not Tempo teams.

Slava Gefen October 16, 2023

And also in the blog above there is checking against the specific user. The question is: if you have 100 members group, do we need to create 100 conditions for this matter @Rudy Holtkamp ? And if a new member comes, do we also need to update the Automation?

Thanks
Slava

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2021

Hey @Mark.Stewart ,

I just wanted to provide some context around the absence of the direct linking between assignee and team. At one stage (back when Advanced Roadmaps was originally being developed as Portfolio for Jira 3.0 on Server) we were considering having tighter coupling between fields.... So for example you'd only be able to assign a sprint from the issue source associated to the assigned team, etc. 

However we decided not to implement this as there was no way of enforcing this from the issue screens. So whilst we could prevent this within the plan interface (or provide automatic setting features) we wouldn't have the same ability within the issue screen.

One approach we have considered is both adding warnings (i.e. "hey you've assigned this issue to an assignee who isn't a member of the assigned team") and the ability to request smart "fixes" (i.e. "I'll assign the team that this assignee belongs to").

Of course there are always edge cases ... for example, there is nothing that stops an assignee being a member of more than one team (both within the tool, and in reality) so then you have to decide which team to assign.

We are keen to understand how customers want to get the most out of teams though and whether or not you'd like to have the option of this tighter association between team and assignee (as well as team and issue source).

One thing I'm particularly interested in at the moment is how you might be using teams in relation to issue sources? For example could a team be associated by multiple issue sources and would you also want to see that association reflected directly on that issue source - i.e would you want to see the team displayed and configured on the boards themselves and not just within plans?)

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Totally get that you do not want to have tight coupling which is why I was going down the automation path. 

Our organisation has 4 teams that will be working on BAU changes / minor enhancements. We want to use the Dependency Report to show any blockers between teams. 

We are still in the process of setting up the plan but the approach I am taking is to have 1 team associated with 1 issue source ie. 1 board for each team where the board JQL is Team = {teamid}.

I am also displaying the Team on the Jira board. The users are familiar with assigning users so I was hoping to look up the Team they are assigned to and automatically assign the Team. Of course this assumes that a person can only be assigned to 1 team. 

I need to investigate and test the feedback from Curt Holley (comment above) but currently suspect there is no way to do this. If that is the case then I will look at a process change to set the Team field when the issue is created. 

Simmo
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2021

@Mark.Stewart

I'm from the Automation team so I can tell you that we don't have native support for it and I'm not familiar with the make up of their field but if it is in a fairly normal format then such an approach as suggested will work.

Best way to figure it out is to have a look at the REST view of an issue with the field set on it, eg XXXXX.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/BIO-13?expand=names

You then can replicate that in the advanced section of the edit action. For example, if it is of the form:

{ "id": "6" }

then in your edit action you'd do:

{
"XXXXXXX": {
"id": "6"
}
}
}

It can take a bit of fiddling to find the right format. It might be a 6 without the quotes or it could be in the format as suggested by Curt.

If you get stuck, post here and we can help. We just can't help you find mappings or anything, but we might be able to set the field if you can figure out the value :)

Dave
Atlassian Team
February 18, 2021

Thanks for providing that additional info @Mark.Stewart - it's really valuable!

One quick follow up question:

I am also displaying the Team on the Jira board

...do you mean you've given the board a name that directly maps to the team name?

One of the things I'm exploring is whether or not there would be value in setting team association directly in the board configuration and having the team name automatically displayed and having the board filter be updated to only include issues assigned to the team (this would obviously be optional). If such a capability was available would that be something you'd use?

Regards,
Dave

Mark.Stewart February 18, 2021

Dave,

sorry I wasn't very clear. I am displaying the Team field on the issue as per the screen shot below. 

I think I am basically doing what you have outlined. Board is named after the team and the board filter is where Team = {Team Id}.

If you were to support this with best practice guides or tutorials on how to use Teams then that would be very helpful. At the moment I am experimenting to see how Teams works and how best to set it up for my organisation. 

Issue with Team field displayed.JPG

Like Dave likes this
Mark.Stewart February 18, 2021

It would also be good to add Team to the selectable Statistic Types for the reports / widgets such as the Pie Chart widget. 

Like # people like this
Dave
Atlassian Team
February 21, 2021

@Mark.Stewart I don't think we have any specific best practice articles for this, but I personally recommend what you're doing (and is the approach I take) which is to create a board for each team (with a custom JQL filter for issues assigned to the team).

I then use those boards as issue sources in my plan so that I can group by team and access the sprints (and do capacity planning) within my plan.

Like Richard Way likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events