Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug - Added Subtask in a Portfolio Plan is committed as a Task in Portfolio for Jira

Robin Klein August 5, 2019

I'm trying to add subtasks underneath a task in my Portfolio for Jira plan. Adding them to the plan is working as designed, but as soon as I want to committ them to Jira through the Review button they will get created as new Tasks.

See below screenshot for the result. As you can see in the review changes screen the subtask issuetype is listed, but while committing them to Jira the pop-up selects the Task issuetype without the ability to change it to a subtask, although it is part of the issuetype scheme.Capture.PNG

Any idea what could be the issue? The Portfolio Hierarchy is configured correctly.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Emma Ysebaert
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2019

Hi Robin,

Thanks for getting in touch, I hope I'll be able to help with your query.

I haven't been able to replicate this issue type mismatch on my own instance, but I have a hunch that this may somehow be related your required field configuration.

Looking at your screenshot, I don't think you shouldn't be seeing this 'Set required fields' dialog at all, as the issue type, project and summary fields have already been set - this issue should commit to JIRA without any further input required. The only reason I can think that you may be seeing this is if your field configuration contains a required field that is not associated with your project screen. What happens in this scenario if you click 'create'? Do you get an additional error about a specific required field not being set?

It would be helpful to get an idea of any other required fields you might have in your field configuration.

I look forward to your response,

Emma

Jira Portfolio team

Robin Klein August 19, 2019

Hi @Emma Ysebaert

Thanks for your help!

The issue was indeed caused by a required field (priority). After making it optional the issue was not caused anymore in Portfolio.

An interesting thing though when I faced the issue was that Portfolio gave no error but created a Task (instead of a Sub-Task) underneath the Task in the Portfolio Hierarchy. In Jira you couldn't see the same situation. So I would have expected Portfolio to give me somekind of error. Maybe something to look into?

Regards,
Robin

Emma Ysebaert
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2019

@Robin Klein glad we got to the root of the cause!

I'm very interested in working out why this was displaying a task issue type instead of sub-task. I will investigate further and try to find a way to have a meaningful error displayed.

Regards,

Emma

Manuel Bähnisch December 15, 2020

Hi Emma,

I have a very similar problem when creating sub-task issues. In my case in addition to Robins screenshot the mandatory attribute assignee is shown in the pop-up with "default assignee" selected. When trying to commit, the log shows:

2020-12-15 11:23:11,442 https-jsse-nio-443-exec-16 WARN username 683x480915x1 1n79j98 172.26.1.29 /rest/jpo/1.0/issues/commit [c.a.r.j.c.scenario.issue.IssueScenarioEntityCommitExceptionHandler] Exception when trying to commit issue: Required Fields not set. [assignee].

This is correct, as I disallowed unassigned issues on my system. My first idea to solve it was adding the attribute "assignee" as a column in the plan in order to assign the sub-task before committing. Even if set to a team member committing still fails, asking for an assignee. Only if unassigned issues are allowed in the system configuration committing works as expected, hence the assignee is not a required field anymore. 

But I consider it a bug. My expectation would be either the issue is assigned to the default assignee or the sub-task is assigned to the person set in the plan bevore committing. Neither works. Any ideas?

Thanks allot.

Manuel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events