Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice question - How do you manage releases FROM customer in your project plan?

Christophe Sutter August 6, 2021

Hi all,

My company is already using Jira Cloud for all of its task / activity and some release management, but not for Project planning.

In the process of setting that up through Roadmaps, I am considering the best way to manage "external events". In my case, a lot of our development is dependant on our customer's progress:

- We develop our SW

- They integrate it in their own

- We receive it back for testing once integrating

and this process can iterate several times during a project.

I would thus like to use a Jira "object" relative to my customer's integration activity and link to my own tasks / Epics / deliveries in my planning.

I see several options in the way of creating tasks, Epics for this, and managing them myself, but that seems inelegant in some ways, and I am interested in knowing if some of you have already set up such practices to see if I could get inspiration from them.

Thanks for your suggestions!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2021

Hi @Christophe Sutter

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an elegant way to doing this without giving the vendor access to your JIRA instance.

I manage projects using JIRA / Advanced Roadmaps and when I have tasks for vendors to complete, I'll add it as a task/epic and manage it myself. This way, at least I know I'll be following the right formatting, structure, etc. that I have set and will have regular status meetings with them to update the task/epic. It's not a hands-off method (unlike getting the vendor to update) but the easiest / best solution I've thought of.

Hope that helps.

Jacob @ NorthTEK Consulting

0 votes
Philipp Barry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2021

Could you elaborate on what specifically seems "inelegant in some ways" to you? More detail on that perspective might help to understand what problems you are exactly trying to solve.

One thought without more context: Does it seem useful to you to have a conversation with your customer about working to some extent in the same tool so you both get more visibility on all steps of the collaboration process?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events