Automatic scheduling based on capacity planning?

Andrew Grossman November 9, 2022

My organization is revamping its planning process and I'm trying to determine if the approach we are aiming for is something that is support by Atlassian tooling. Our teams are using JIRA Kanban classic software projects. Work is organized in Task tickets. These are estimated in story points. Task tickets report up to Epics, which correspond to our departmental projects.

The basics of what we're looking to do are:

• Determine capacity based on historical data
  • Have something akin to a Kanban board of Epics for any epic that has made it past discovery and estimation
  • Rank the Kanban board of Epics
  • Have tickets on the Kanban board of Epics
    • Automatically determine expected start and end dates based on expected capacity and estimated effort level for epics and their children's total story point values
    • Update those determinations automatically upon reranking of epics and updating of epic contents
    • Interact with or feed Advanced Roadmaps as appropriate?

I would have guessed the above to be a really common use case, but I haven't yet come across any material suggesting this is a natural fit for Atlassian tooling. Is it? Not only would I hope this is doable, I would hope the how-tos are documented.

My first choice would be to do this fully native to Atlassian tooling, but we're open to exploring alternative options that interface with JIRA if this appears to be an overly custom use-case.

2 answers

1 vote
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 9, 2022

Hi@Andrew Grossman 

As an option, you can try the ActivityTimeline plugin. ActivityTimeline provides resource planning and availability on a timeline view. There is automatic scheduling based on the estimates and assigned users. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best, Nataliya, ActivityTimeline Team

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2022
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 9, 2022

@Carlos Garcia Navarro 

Thank you for mentioning our plugin!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events