Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic issue dates update based upon a dependency

Javier Garay April 11, 2022

Hi community,
I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to auto change the start date and end date of an issue if this has a dependency with a previous one that is moved or the end date is extended. This is something very basic in project management tools like MS Project. I understand that Jira isn't a Gantt software, but this is something that has become critical for us as we are using Jira as our main tool for any kind of projects, so waterfall model has become a must to have.
Is there any way to do this natively or with some plugin? Maybe there is a workaroud to like using an specific automation process?
Thanks,
Javier G.

1 answer

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2022

Hi @Javier Garay 

You could achieve this with Automation. 

Something like the below should do it. Up to you as to any other conditions, which issue types and link types are required based on your systems set-up

Screenshot 2022-04-12 123414.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2022

Hi @Javier Garay 

Yes, and...to Curt's answer:

Do you have multiple issues in the dependency "chains" of links?  If so, and the links are both in-one-direction AND there are no loops, you could get this rule to trigger itself to walk the tree by enabling the "Allow Rule Trigger" option.  If both of those criteria are not true, I would advise against it as the looping rule execution to use up your automation SLA quite quickly and halt all rule processing.

Also of note: I recall in another post the roadmap team was experimenting with an automatic shift to start/due dates based on changing one item in a chain.  Perhaps keep watch out in case that feature is implemented in the future.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Curt Holley likes this
Brett Busdeker March 14, 2023

Hi @Bill Sheboy - So are you saying it would look like this?  I didn't see an "allow rule trigger" option but maybe it's been updated in the last 11 months

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 11.56.27 AM.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2023

The allow rule trigger setting is in the rule details, at the top of the rule.

Like Brett Busdeker likes this
Brett Busdeker March 16, 2023

@Bill Sheboy  Thank you!  Totally brand new at this :-)

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events