• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Auto-scheduling items sequentialy based on dependencies does not work as implied in Advanced Roadmap Edited

Im testing out Jira with the intention of migrating my company to using it on future projects so I have admittedly minimal experience with Jira and Advanced roadmaps but im getting some scheduling behaviour that doesnt make sense to me.

When trying to auto schedule I have found that the option to schedule sequentialy does not make sense. It does nothing for Kanban Teams and for Scrum Teams it is not enforcing that tasks are completed one after the other, it is enforcing that they are completed in sequential sprints. This does technically force them to be sequential but not in the way it is implied. Im not sure if I am just not understanding the intended design or if this is not working as expected. At the moment I cannot see how forcing dependant tasks into sequential sprints would be benficial, especially if they are small 2h tasks that just need to be done in order.

It seams like this is an unintended result of the issues being allocated to take the entire sprint duration for scrum teams (which is another thing that I dont understand the point of, as this makes it impossible to view dependency based scheduling issues within an active sprint). But if this IS the intended design, I feel like the menu needs to explain this better as currently it just says it will force them to be one after the other, there is no mention of it forcing them to be in sequential sprints.

In my following example images i have 6 issues as children of "initiative 1 epic 1" with dependencies set up. I also have more issues set up inside other epics but the problem I am experiencing is noticable with the child issues of "initiative 1 epic 1".

• Task 1 depends on task 6
  • Task 2 depends on task 1
  • Task 3 depends on task 2
  • Task 4 depends on task 3
  • Task 5 depends on task 4

BeforeAutoSchedule.PNG

When changing the "configure" settings for advanced roadmaps, in the Scheduling tab there is the option to schedule dependent issues either concurrently or sequentialy.

AdvancedRoadmapsScheduling.PNG

If the team is set to Kanban, this has no effect.

ConcurrentKanban.PNGSequentialKanban.PNG

When the team is set to scrum the concurrent mode still orders them sequentially but allows multiple dependant issues in the one sprint so long as they all fit within the sprint. The sequential option on the other hand forces each issue to be completed in sequential sprints.

ConcurrentScrum.PNGSequentialScrum.PNG

0 answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

3 short videos to help you get started with Advanced Roadmaps

Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...

6,566 views 25 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you