Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-schedule issues linked across multiple projects

Brian Charniga April 29, 2021

Hi, 

I have a project that i'm trying to use auto-schedule for. It works fine except for one Story that it skips over for some reason without warnings. This particular Story happens to have a Linked dependency that is blocking it which is assigned to a Sprint that is in a different project - could that be causing the blocked issue to be skipped? There are no warnings, which is odd. Does auto-schedule not work with Linked Issues that are in a different project's sprint? Note - I have included each project's board in my issue sources, so at least the sprints are recognized as part of the plan.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2021

Hi @Brian Charniga,

Can you confirm what you mean by "skips over" - does this mean that the issue is completely ignored and no changes are suggested?

Usually when an issue has no suggestions made it is because it has the optimum values assigned or it has no estimate (issues without an estimate are generally ignored by the auto-scheduling). 

With respect to the linked dependency from another project... if that dependency is itself included within the plan then the scheduler will take it into account (in so far as it won't schedule the dependent issue before the issue it depends on). This also relies on the link relationship being included as a dependency in the global configuration for Advanced Roadmaps (by default only the blocks / is blocked by is considered a dependency).

It doesn't matter if the issues are in different sprints / projects / boards - all that matters is that they are both present in the plan and the scheduler can work out start / end dates for them (usually derived by the estimate and assigned team capacity).

Regards,

Dave

Brian Charniga April 30, 2021

Thank you @Dave for clarifying the expected behavior. I took a closer look after getting some sleep and realized this was all due to user error... I totally missed that I forgot to put an estimate on the issue that was blocked, so I fixed that and now everything is working as expected. I'm working on a proof-of-concept using Advanced Roadmaps, and am very happy with the capabilities so far. Can't wait to see what's coming down the road! Thank you!

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2021

No worries @Brian Charniga - glad I was able to help! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events