Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Schedule: Why does auto-schedule only assign 1 issue per projected sprint?

Lee Vella May 8, 2023

Hi,

Issue:

Auto-schedule has placed 4 small issues in separate projected sprints that could be completed in a single sprint. The PM wants the 4 issues to be in the same sprint.

Background:

I have Team Jason with a velocity of 40 story points per 2 week sprint.

The first 4 stories are all assigned to Team Jason, sequentially dependent on each other with story points of 4, 2, 2 & 2, giving a total estimate of 10 story points.

The release is set to start at the beginning of June with no fixed end date. 

All target start and end dates are cleared.

Outcome:

When I select Auto-schedule, each story is placed in a separate 'projected sprint'.

Expected outcome:

As the capacity of the team per sprint (40) is well over the estimated story points (10), I thought that all 4 issues would be placed in the same sprint. 

separate issues in separate sprints plan view1.JPG

Queries:

1. Why are they not placed in the same sprint?
  2. Is there a something I am missing?
  3. Can I get auto-schedule to place these stories in the same sprint?
  4. If not, what is a work-around? (I do not want to manually schedule all issues into sprints for the plan) 

Addendum:

When I manually set target start and target end dates to be sequential within the same sprint (i.e. doing an issue per day), auto-schedule still puts them into separate 2 week sprints, even if they are not selected to be auto-scheduled !!

When I manually change the target start and target end dates to be in the same projected sprint, I get dependency alerts with lead time.

separate issues in same sprint plan view1.JPG 

1 answer

1 accepted

Lee Vella May 8, 2023

Thanks @Phlip Borgnes,

I changed sequential to concurrent in config, hit auto-schedule and it put the 4 issues in the same sprint ! Perfect.

BUT...

I still get the red dependency lead time issues. Not a problem as I can simply ignore them, but why does it say that I need this amount of lead time and highlight as a problem?

separate issues in same sprint plan view2.JPG 

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2023

Hi @Lee Vella - welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Do you mind sharing what version of Jira you're using? I've been trying to reproduce this but haven't been able to get the warnings to show when setting up a situation like yours.

Happy to have another look into it, but just want to make sure I'm using an environment as close to yours as possible.

Cheers!

Daniel

Lee Vella May 9, 2023

Hi @Daniel Capizzi 

Jira v9.4.1

Advanced Roadmaps for Jira v9.4.1

If you need any further info, please let me know.

thanks

Lee

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2023

Hi @Lee Vella - unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this on one of my instances. I suspect there are some other factors that are causing the warning to pop, but it's difficult to investigate through community posts.

If you'd like, I would suggest getting in touch with us through https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/ where our support engineers will be able to dive into your setup a bit more and figure out what's going on!

Sorry about the redirect though - I'm sure support will be able to get you up and running asap.

Cheers,

Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events