Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Roadmap Jira Plans No Longer Rank

SB April 19, 2022

When I left work on Friday I had no problem Ranking my Roadmap Plans but when I came in on Monday, I started receiving the red 'Something Went Wrong' error.  Looking at the error log it says it is a Stacktrace issue.  No idea what that is.  Our Jira Admins are working on the issue and they believe it is because my queries are somewhat in depth using 'portfolioChildIssuesOf...'  which I have always used.  I have the sort by Rank so that is not the issue.  Is anyone else running into this issue?  This is a big problem for me.  Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Keith Wilcox April 21, 2022

I get the "Something Went Wrong" anytime I try to change Rank in a plan....but this has never worked for me or those I share the plan with...I am also using the default Rank sort.  I'd love to know how to fix this...only kludge I've found so far is to do a JQL search on just the epics I'm interested in and then "Rank to top" one at a time until the set is in the correct rank order.  I'd love to know how drag-drop to adjust Rank can be made to work in the plan.

SB April 21, 2022

Hi Keith,

I'm not sure if this will help or not but my Jira Admins rewrote my queries and created a new plan for me to use for Ranking.  She says it is the way my queries are written and that I am using a Filter to create the Plan instead of Boards.  I can't see why that makes a difference AND my old plans are suddenly working again after two days of the dreaded 'Something Went Wrong' error message but I have to assume she knows more about it than I do :).  Here is what she did:

Created Enterprise Portfolio Kanban Board to pull the Port. Epics (Enterprise Level)

Created Solution Kanban Program Board to pull the Capabilities (VS Level)

Created Program Kanban Board to pull the Features (ART Level)

Created ART Story Board(s) to pull the User Stories (Team Level)

Issue Source in my plan being the above boards

Used the Plan Exclusion to exclude old Releases (145 of them on mine)

Used the Exclusion to exclude all issue types not relevant or needed for the Plan

Used the Exclusion to exclude all Done and Closed

I think the key point in this is that you make sure you are not using Filters to populate the Roadmap Plans and keep the data in your plan to the bare minimum.  I don't know why it makes a difference but apparently it does.  As a side note, make sure you have your hierarchy view of the level that you want to Rank in your Plan.  The rank will not change the children of a Capability (or any parent) when you change the rank of that issue.  Any change of a Rank in the Plan will change the Rank on the Board, so my teams do not want me to change the rank of the User Stories because it messes up their User Story planning on their boards.  Makes sense.  So, I only rank the higher up parent issues.  Hope this helps!  Being able to Rank in the Plans without it impacting the Children is a HUGE advantage and makes things much easier.  Good Luck!

Keith Wilcox April 21, 2022

thanks Sherri for the great info....I just found a 2015 post that explained that a Kanban board could be used to re-rank epics.  Just now I created a Kanban board based on the same filter as my Plan (after adding a Rank sort to the plan's filter).  I tweaked the Kanban board to have a single Status column.  I can now re-rank the epics on the Kanban board and then refresh my plan to show the correct ranking.  

Like SB likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events