Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced roadmaps no longer support virtual users. How can you plan any new projects?

Joseph Narai June 11, 2021

I'm just back to JIRA planning a project for which I don't have any users yet (I will likely end up with 20+ users probably more). How can I now plan a project as the assignee can only be an actual JIRA user... 

Seems that the tool is completely useless for planning future projects now!

Please help!

2 answers

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2021

@Joseph Narai -

Also take a look at Teams usage in the new improved UI to use it to conduct your what if scenario planning.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/teams-998650939.html

As mentioned in Atlassian site:

The following features and functionality are no longer supported in the improved interface:

• Virtual users
  • Stages and skills
  • Individual capacity management
  • The capacity view from previous plans

It seems they are using Teams in the new improved UI to replace Virtual users concept.

Best, Joseph

Joseph Narai June 14, 2021

I can't find a way to turn off the improved UI :(

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2021

@Joseph Narai -

Hi Joseph:

The only option I can think of for AR (CLOUD env) is by creating non-realuser Jira users in your Jira env where you can use it in your AR plans.  Although it is not ideal, but as you already found out that in the improved UI plan doesn't support virtual users anymore.  Unfortunately, AR (CLOUD env) is also removing "Live Plan" (old UI that allows virtual users setup) by the end of 7/31/2021, thus you no longer have the ability to toggle between Live Plan vs Improved UI for plan creation anymore.

WIth those non-realuser Jira users accounts should allow you to generate/plan your roadmap.  Once you have identified the actual "real user", then you can reassign issues to the real users and deactivate the non-realuser Jira user accounts.

Lastly, I would also recommend that you should submit a formal support request to Atlassian for their additional insights on this problem.

I am very interested on what they have to say.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Joseph Narai June 14, 2021

I did manage to make a user without having it count toward my total users, but to make new ones, they need valid email addresses, which means I'd need to make like 10 alias emails on my personal email or something for this planning process... so I'm frankly not too keen to do that...

I tried contacting support and get to the following:

If you need technical support, ask your admin to file a request on your behalf. Only Jira Software admins, billing contacts, and technical contacts can create support requests for Jira Software. Learn more about Atlassian Support Offerings

At which point I can't submit a support request...

Keep in mind, I'm the account holder, billing contact, admin and site-admin, so ... yeah...

I think it's going to be time to find an alternative solution to jira, things seem to have gone from bad to worse in my time away from using it...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events