Advanced Roadmap - Ability to show "Blocked BY" under the

Christopher_Brandel March 22, 2023

Example Scenario:

Initiative XX has 2 children, one of those children is blocked by 3 issues.  This three issues are blocked by other issues...and so on. - In some cases, there are items 13 levels deep that are blocking everything above it, but nobody is seeing those because they are buried.

Looking to solve by:

In addition to the children showing in the AR view, I'd also like to see the "Blocked By" issues in that same view.  I do not want to have to switch to the dependency view to see them.

How can I do this? Is it possible?

So far, I have had to compile this manually in a separate Spreadsheet.

2 answers

1 vote
Riley Venable (Atlas Bench)
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023
Yes, it is possible to see the "Blocked By" issues in the Advanced Roadmaps view in Jira Software Cloud Premium and Enterprise. You can select the dependency icon on either side of the schedule bar to show all the dependencies attached to that issue. When Advanced Roadmaps is set to show Badges, these icons are always visible on your timeline. If you have Advanced Roadmaps set to show dependencies as Lines, they only show when you hover over the schedule bar. Regardless of how you get there, selecting the icon will bring up a window where you can see the "Type", "Issue details of the dependent issue", "Status", "Assignee", and "Lead time" information for the dependent issue. You can filter by dependencies to see only the dependent chain.
Christopher_Brandel March 24, 2023

Thank you for the response.  While this is helpful, what I am trying to do is to show the "Blocked By" in the same list view as the children (furthest left view).  I don't want to have to hover over a dependency to see it.  I am trying to see the full relationship of items end to end in a holistic view.  We have multiple projects feeding into multiple epics for an initiative.  Many have children which are blocked and those blocking items also have children that are blocked, and so on, and so on.   The team is challenged with untangling the spaghetti to find the common root blocker.  I wonder if using a filter as the source would do this? 

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

Hi @Christopher_Brandel 
First question; Are all the projects concerned currently in the plan? As the blocked items will only show if they are in scope.
Sure, if you click on the dependency badge, it will offer up any outside of plan dependencies, but if you wanna see them on the plan, then all "blocked" linked issues will need to be filtered in.

Using a filter is the best way (as a rule) to go about this. If you believe they are already in scope for the plan, then using the Dependency Management View could provide you what you are after...or at least a starting point.

Christopher_Brandel April 4, 2023

Hello Curt, Thank you for your response.  I did add in the contributing projects as sources, so it is good to go from that perspective.  I will see if the dependency management view will show me what I want.  I think I checked that, but need to confirm, however it sounds like using a filter as a source input might be best?  I am new to JQL so I will need to do some research on how to best formulate a filter to bring in the items i want.  I would welcome any help you or this community is willing to lend.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events