Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add "Create Epic" button to Initiative issue page

Matthew J November 9, 2022

How do we add a “Create Epic” button to Initiative issue page?
(“Initiative” is what we have called the Advanced Roadmaps level above Epic).

Context: Regular Epics have a button “Create child issue” which can create Tasks. 

Advanced Roadmaps issues do not have such a button by default, which is inconvenient, so we would like to add one.

1 answer

0 votes
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2022

Hi @Matthew J 

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately "Create Epic” button within the Epic issue type screen doesn't natively exist in Jira, although I do agree that it would be convenient and nice to have.

There are other ways that you might consider (as a workaround):

• Instead of creating Epics from within Jira’s create issue button, and then linking each epic to its Parent Initiative – simply create them under your initiatives within your Advanced Roadmap Plan itself.
  • If you already have multiple existing epics that need to be linked/rolled up to its respective initiative but aren’t yet – then use the bulk edit feature to associate these to their parent initiatives. You can also Bulk edit by select multiple epics and dragging/dropping them in their respective hierarchy tree structure under the Initiatives.
  • I would also recommend (if you haven’t already) to include the Parent Link field on your Epic create/view/edit screen so you can select the desired initiative when you’re creating the Epic or make modifications to it after the fact.

Regards,

Hamza

Matthew J November 15, 2022

Thanks Hamza, we are already using your 2nd suggestion, but our team would really appreciate a "Create Epic" button on an Initiative (Advanced Roadmaps) issue page, we might create a feature request. 

Valerie Tamblyn March 6, 2023

I would prefer the Initiative's "Create Subtask" button  be replaced with an  "Add a Child issue" button (as in the Epic) where you could select the issue type.   This would then allow faster Epic creation associated to the Initiative.  It would be associated with the initiative it belonged with in the first place.   Maybe there is a way to configure this?

Like Jeff Matson likes this
Jeff Matson April 19, 2023

Its so frustrating! Creating a feature and then refining that into smaller epics and then further into stories and tasks and subtasks is like the main point of Jira. I can't believe Jira doesn't do this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events