• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
Highlighted

Using SAFe Enablers

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience in using Enablers in Jira which has been set up for SAFe.

We have been using a Custom field on all levels so we know if it's an Epic or an Epic Enabler, a Capability or a Capability Enabler, a Feature or a Feature Enabler.

Maybe I don't really have a question but it's more looking for confirmation: You can't use issue types for this since you cannot configure this in the hierarchy structure of Portfolio for JIRA right? 

Interested to see what you all think.

Regards

4 comments

We tried the Plugin Jira Structure to implement it, and it works fine. Simply creating  a new Issue type named "Enabler" works also fine if you expect it to be at the "User Story" Level and not at the Epic Level

Regards

Sylvain

Like Jamstation likes this

Thanks for the answer! Sounds like a workable solution!

Hi Wessel, as Solution Partners we have implemented the same approach for various organizations but found that we needed to be able to propagate this flag to all children in that tree starting from Initiative all the way to the Story. For that we’ve developed an addon that will allow you to inherit any value from your parent issue down to the hierarchy automatically. You can then display it or report on it either in Structure or any other tool. From my experience implementing SAFe in Jira I wouldn’t recommend introducing a separate issue types Enabler Feature, Enabler Capability, Enabler Story etc as it clutters the setup quite a bit.  

Like Jason_Ng likes this

Hi Irina,

Thanks a lot for this feed back

It's 2020 and SAFe 5.0 is out ... I too am wondering the best way to add Enablers to Epics.  Also how best to indicate whether an Enabler, Feature or nested Story is for Product, Architecture or Engineering (so we can filter them for each role).

Like Dominique Schweitzer likes this

I have the same question,
I think we need to use same issue types; Epic for Enabler Epic, but add label "Enabler",
and do the same for story, then link any issue to the Enabler labelled issue,
What do you think?

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

3 short videos to help you get started with Advanced Roadmaps

Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...

6,559 views 25 18
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you