Using SAFe Enablers

Wessel Donkervoort April 9, 2018

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience in using Enablers in Jira which has been set up for SAFe.

We have been using a Custom field on all levels so we know if it's an Epic or an Epic Enabler, a Capability or a Capability Enabler, a Feature or a Feature Enabler.

Maybe I don't really have a question but it's more looking for confirmation: You can't use issue types for this since you cannot configure this in the hierarchy structure of Portfolio for JIRA right? 

Interested to see what you all think.

Regards

4 comments

Sylvain Gautier April 27, 2018

We tried the Plugin Jira Structure to implement it, and it works fine. Simply creating  a new Issue type named "Enabler" works also fine if you expect it to be at the "User Story" Level and not at the Epic Level

Regards

Sylvain

Like Jamstation likes this
Wessel Donkervoort April 28, 2018

Thanks for the answer! Sounds like a workable solution!

Irina Mosina _TechTime_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2018

Hi Wessel, as Solution Partners we have implemented the same approach for various organizations but found that we needed to be able to propagate this flag to all children in that tree starting from Initiative all the way to the Story. For that we’ve developed an addon that will allow you to inherit any value from your parent issue down to the hierarchy automatically. You can then display it or report on it either in Structure or any other tool. From my experience implementing SAFe in Jira I wouldn’t recommend introducing a separate issue types Enabler Feature, Enabler Capability, Enabler Story etc as it clutters the setup quite a bit.  

Like Jason Ng likes this
Sylvain Gautier July 30, 2018

Hi Irina,

Thanks a lot for this feed back

Jeremy Chambers January 9, 2020

It's 2020 and SAFe 5.0 is out ... I too am wondering the best way to add Enablers to Epics.  Also how best to indicate whether an Enabler, Feature or nested Story is for Product, Architecture or Engineering (so we can filter them for each role).

Like # people like this
Ahmad Salah February 26, 2020

I have the same question,
I think we need to use same issue types; Epic for Enabler Epic, but add label "Enabler",
and do the same for story, then link any issue to the Enabler labelled issue,
What do you think?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events