Jira roadmaps advanced - best practices

Kaj Sennelöv July 22, 2021

Hi all!

Currently, I'm setting up Jira roadmaps advanced at our site.
In the process of doing this, I had to make multiple decisions on how to organise certain stuff, where I wasn't sure what the best way would be.
Now I'm really curious to hear how your setup looks like.

Our setup has projects per type of work or team (Web team, design team, ...) and a newly created project for initiatives only (initiatives > epics > stories & bugs & tasks > Sub-tasks). 

To organise everything a little more in Roadmaps advanced we use a custom field for project codes and the label field to filter on types of projects (internal, billable, ...). The next step is now to automate to have the same project cote and labels from initiative all the way down to the sub-tasks no matter the order of them being linked (an initiative can be created after a ticket is already existing or a ticket can be linked to an already existing initiative)

Looking forward to hearing your experiences!

-Kaj

2 comments

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Hi @Kaj Sennelöv 

one great feature of Advanced Roadmaps is the ability for it to "roll-up' info (like story points) to the higher level Epics/Initiatives etc. 

Likewise, the ability to choose to still see the full hierarchy when filtering could mean that you don't need to automate the code and labels from top to bottom. as long as the top level have them, in Advanced roadmaps you can still see all the related children when filtering of those fields.

Just a thought.

That said, the automation will be fun to do and bullet proofs the data, so why not.

Like Kaj Sennelöv likes this
Kaj Sennelöv July 26, 2021

Hi Curt

Roll-up is indeed a great feature, only, in this case, it would need to be a "roll-down" feature. 😂

Indeed, bulletproofing the data would be nice.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Rick Olson July 26, 2021

We are in the process of doing the very same thing, organizing by initiative and pushing values all the way down to the sub-tasks. Pushing those values into the issues provides visibility to all Jira users without the need to make everyone look in AR to see them.

Happy to share notes with you if you like.

Like # people like this
Kaj Sennelöv July 26, 2021

Hi Rick

I would love to share notes.
With the limited time I have been able to spend on this, I have only had failed attempts until now.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events