• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
Highlighted

Jira portfolio hierarchy A&G

Hi

Looking for a bit of A&G regarding Jira Portfolio hierarchy levels & best practises in a few areas, we're looking at adopting portfolio for managing larger streams of work across our organisation in a few areas (not just software delivery), as well as product management for our internal software deliverables:

1. Hierarchy - I was originally looking at:

Initiatives->Program->Epic->user stories et

but portfolio has a "programs" option when creating portfolio plans.. what's the difference/benefits between a 'jira portfolio program' in portfolio vs a 'jira hierarchy' configuration to represent a program as above - i'm concerned that having a simplier initiative->epic hierarchy may confuse people..
  2. Some of our teams are looking at different hierarchies based on their particular needs.. is there a way of configuring a completely separate hierarchy for say "client projects" using structures and naming customised to that particular template vs internal? .. I think this can be achieved but I want to be sure we're not breaking anything by doing so

3. Are there any benefits of using a portfolio kanban for portfolio management, vs pulling in epics from boards and merging results into an overall portfolio plan there

4. is the old adage of 1 product = 1 project for product management still true?

Any other best practises or tricks that come to mind would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

1 comment

My understanding is that Programs are a combined overview of your plans so you can choose which plan you want to bring to your Program a displaying high level information.

A plan can have as many initiatives as you want and the hierarchy defines the level of information displayed.

Please see links below - it should help: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/programs-931037964.html

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/scale-agile-practices-with-programs-in-portfolio-for-jira

Hey Rayssa - thanks for the reply.. pretty much what i suspected.  A "Jira program" (from portfolio) as supplied out the box can do a rollup across multiple proejcts regardless of initiative, whereas defining a program in a hierarchy tree (initiative->program->epic) will - by its very nature - be available in that hierarchy only.

Any thoughts on 3 & 4 above? 

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

3 short videos to help you get started with Advanced Roadmaps

Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...

6,600 views 25 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you