Integrate team capacity in JIRA

satyaprakash.mittinti September 27, 2022

Hi geeks,

I am working on teams available capacity for a time period (3 sprints/6 sprints/PI/mini PI) vis-a-vis Features we receive from PDM. Is there a way we can configure, team wrt their availability?

Lemme say, 5 members, I consider 75% of their time each day for JIRA accomplishment.

The tool should give me 5*0.75*10days= 37.5 mandays . I can define it as 15SP (each sp=2.5 mandays for my project)

At the end, I can map the EPICs against this available 15SPs.

This is the general idea. Can some one let me know if you have ever done this?

Regards

Satya

2 comments

Deleted user September 27, 2022

@satyaprakash.mittinti  look I think he's taking the wrong approach, you don't calculate a person's availability as if it were flour to be dosed to make grandma's cookies ...

satyaprakash.mittinti September 27, 2022

:) Thanks.

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2022

What you are referring to is capacity planning based on availability, which every team must do every sprint.

The calculation should also take into consideration things like holidays, vacation and risks like sickness if the flu is going around to set the expected time available. You also factor in how much the team get disturbed, be sitting in open spaces or being dragged into meetings. Most teams are effective at around 50-70% at the most.

So 75% in your case sounds a bit optimistic, unless you never talk to eachother, don't have meetings and everyone is isolated and fully focused ;)

I don't see the point of using arbitrary values like story points as you already translate it to time, but that is up to you :) I would just use hours as that is what you need to keep track of anyway.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events