How are you using teams in Advanced Roadmaps?

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2021

Hi all,

I'm really keen to learn more about how people are using Teams within Advanced Roadmaps. I'm especially interested to know if people are using Private or Shared Teams and if it's obvious what the differences are?

I'd also like to know how teams are typically associated with your work, for example do you usually have a 1-1 mapping between a team and a board? Do multiple teams share work on the same project but have their own board filtered by team?

More generally I'd like to know if you add members to your teams or leave them empty and whether or not individuals in your organisation only contribute to one team or split their time across many teams.

I'd also like to know how you capacity plan for your team and what individual capacity planning you might like to be able to do and if you do this in other tools?

Really keen to hear about how you setup and use teams and how you'd like to be able to use them in the future!

Many thanks,

Dave

1 comment

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

The general lay of the land in my part of the (Jira) world, is;

Each ART (we work in the SAFe model) has a Project, and Team focused boards are set-up using Shared teams as the extra filter criteria. There are exceptions, but this is the norm and what I recommend.

Yes we have examples of worked shared within a project and examples of work shared across projects.  Where is can't be handled simply by shared team, then these are handled via Assignee or labels, with extra filter criteria to suit the relevant board/s where needed. We also make use of the Dependency link type and visualise that via Advanced Roadmap plans.

It is fair to say, people tend to populate the people into their teams as they think it will do something. I let anyone who will listen know, it doesn't (currently), so no need. But because we don't have the creation of plans or Shared teams locked down so anyone can create them, people assume it matters (because it is there).

Occasionally people ask about capacity planning at a person level, but we try (and for the most part succeed) to encourage capacity planning via Story points at a team level as agreed and completed by the team. Then using Advance Roadmaps Group by Team with "show capacity on timeline", that team level capacity (averaged) can be seen.

That said, the ability to be able to put a capacity per Sprint would be brilliant. If that could be configured for all sprints that exist on a teams "issue source" board and even somehow able to be populated and seen in Jira on the board somewhere, as well as within the shared team configuration, that would be ideal.

Perhaps it go something like; When a Boards is marked as a Shared teams "issue source', then an extra field is available in "Edit Sprint" called "Capacity" that once populated would show on the Jira board (think like the way Sprint goals does). As well as being used as the "per sprint' capacity on an AR plan set up to show the shared teams capacity.

Hope this helpful @Dave ?

Curt

Like # people like this
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2021

Yes, that's super helpful - thanks for sharing @Curt Holley !

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events