Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transition issue on field update

Beppe Marcon July 1, 2019

How to transition an issue to a specified status on update of its custom fields?

Currently I implemented a Listener which transitions the ticket when it receives an Update event but realized there's a criticality in Jira's implementation whereby the issue might be in an inconsistent state just after having been updated and the transition fail, the result is that Jira returns an:

"It seems that you have tried to perform a workflow operation (some-transition) that is not valid for the current state of this issue"

Of course the transition is valid instead.

Someone suggested setting the workflow states which are null or 0 to "ACTIVATED" manually through the following code:

List<GenericValue> workflowEntries = ComponentAccessor.getOfBizDelegator().findByAnd("OSWorkflowEntry", FieldMap.build("id", issue.getWorkflowId()))
for (GenericValue workflowEntry : workflowEntries)
{
if (workflowEntry.getInteger("state") == null || "0".equals(workflowEntry.getInteger("state").toString()))
{
workflowEntry.set("state", new Integer(WorkflowEntry.ACTIVATED))
workflowEntry.store()
}
}

However this solution doesn't seem to work in this case.

What is the correct way to implement an automatic transition when a field is updated by the user?

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2019

Hi @Beppe Marcon ,

I have been using something like this in the beginning of the script : 

def workflowEntries = ComponentAccessor.getOfBizDelegator().findByAnd("OSWorkflowEntry", FieldMap.build("id", issue.getWorkflowId())) // get workflow informations
def workflowState = workflowEntries[0].get("state")
def tryCounter = 0

while(workflowState==0) {
log.debug("Retry number " + tryCounter)
sleep(1000)
workflowEntries = ComponentAccessor.getOfBizDelegator().findByAnd("OSWorkflowEntry", FieldMap.build("id", issue.getWorkflowId()))
workflowState = workflowEntries[0].get("state")
log.debug("workflowState="+workflowState)
tryCounter++
if (tryCounter == 5) {
log.error("Too many retries...")
break
}
}
log.debug("now proceeding with the workflow transition...")

But I only have had issues in a create listener.

My guess is that you are trying to trigger a transition that cannot be executed in the current status. Are you sure you are triggering a valid transition ?

Antoine

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events