Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script listener on Issue watcher added event

Karolína Vavříková October 12, 2018

Hello,

I've been trying to set up a listener, which would send e-mail notification to a watcher when he is added to an issue (kind of like request participant notification for customers).

I have tried 2 listeners:
- Send a custom mail

- Fires an event when condition is true

In both cases: When I leave the condition blank, the listener won't run. When I add a condition for a project key, it runs and then shows this:

Cannot cast object 'com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueWatcherAddedEvent@cc2c2bfd' with class 'com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueWatcherAddedEvent' to class 'com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent'

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2018

Hello @Karolína Vavříková

Can you please share screenshot of the configuration and code, as it seems you are trying to cast the WatcherAddedEvent object to IssueEvent.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2018

Because if you see here

https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/7.6.1/com/atlassian/jira/event/AbstractEvent.html

The classes IssueEvent and IssueWatcherAddedEvent are parallel in hierarchy under AbstractEvent class and thus can't be cast

Karolína Vavříková October 12, 2018

well, that's...nice... So how do I bypass that?screencapture-jira-elx-cz-plugins-servlet-scriptrunner-admin-listeners-edit-1515036321-2018-10-12-14_32_18.png

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2018

If you leave it blank then you say that it's not running, do you have something from the logs?

Because from the original error msg if you have some condition and you get the error

Cannot cast object 'com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueWatcherAddedEvent@cc2c2bfd' with class 'com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueWatcherAddedEvent' to class 'com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent'

It more or less seems like a bug in the internal working of the plugin as you are not explicitly casting the issue object.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 15, 2018

Hello @Karolína Vavříková

Did you try creating a request in the Adaptavist support portal for this issue.

Karolína Vavříková October 15, 2018

Hi,  not yet. I have found out that we have an update pending, so I will test it first. Thank you for your help, though!

hellboy007 January 15, 2019

How can I solve problem?

0 votes
Karolína Vavříková October 22, 2018

Hi @huw@Tarun Sapra

I have filed a bug, however, I don't have any good news. Adaptavist agent told me this:

it looks like the 'Fires an event...' listener has the same underlying restriction as the custom email listener, just buried more deeply in the implementation. I will file a development ticket to see whether this restriction can be lifted, or at least more explicitly outlined in the documentation.

I have asked how to bypass that and achieve desired result, but no answer yet.

Karolína Vavříková October 24, 2018

aand the reply follows:

One way you could do it would be to set up a custom scripted listener on the IssueWatcherAddedEvent and in the script, fetch the watcher's email address (event.applicationUser.emailAddress) and send a message to it via the MailQueue

huw October 24, 2018

Thanks for the update. 

0 votes
huw October 15, 2018

We have exactly the same use case and error. Did you plugin/app update cure it? 

Karolína Vavříková October 17, 2018

Hi @huw, unfortunately, update didn't work, still the same issue.
I filed a bug in Adaptavist customer portal.

The custom email listener is currently not compatible with events other than IssueEvent
the other option should be working, though, so they are looking into it.

I will keep you updated

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events