Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script Listener to update an Epic field when the same field is updated in a parent issue

Thomas Hardin August 30, 2019

Good morning all,

I have been researching the various community discussions on Script listeners and cannot seem to find one that would support my needs. You all are too advanced...

I am trying to ensure that any epics linked to a Parent issue using the Parent Link field from Portfolio for Jira are updated with values that are identical to the ones in the Parent Issue. The kicker here is that the Parent issue is actually being updated via post function from a service desk request.

An example: As a service desk request gets a final approval, it will trigger an update to an Initiative that was created in support of a sizing activity. Part of the activity was to also create Epics, which are linked via the Parent Link field. The update will change a field, Approval Status, which is a single-select with 2 options (Awaiting Approval & Approved).

What I need to do is have a listener trigger the update of the Epics, as they also have the same field. The reason for this is that this will populate a team board with the issue type indicating that they can prioritize their work for the upcoming PI.

My thought was that this should not be too difficult, so I referred myself to the experts within the community, however; I just can't seem to find a simple example and am asking for assistance.

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Matthew Clark
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2019

Hi Thomas

It should be possible to do what you are asking. You essentially have to get the links for the issue that is being updated and then look for the links of type "Parent-Child Link" which is what Portfolio uses by default so it should be the same unless someone changed it.

I created an example of how I might push field updates between Portfolio parent and child issues and also from child to parent issues.

I have not tested this on a server with many different link types so you should run tests of the script on a test server to make sure it doesn't cause problems on your server and that it works as you expect it to. You may need to alter it to fit your needs but hopefully, this will help you make some progress on the script you want to create.

Here is the script I wrote: Script Listener (Issue Update) script

Regards
Matthew

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events