Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira Behaviors - copying date field and formatting issue

I have an Initialize script in a behavior where I am trying to copy a date field value to another date field value if the destination one is empty. 

The copying aspect works but I wanted to format the date and followed the info here:

but when it runs it keeps setting the destination value to current date/time instead of the value from the other field.

Here is my code:


import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.datetime.DateTimeFormatterFactory
import com.atlassian.jira.datetime.DateTimeStyle

if (getDestinationStepName() == "Scheduled")
def rcDateField = getFieldByName("Requested completion date")
def rcDateValue = rcDateField.getValue()
def scDateField = getFieldByName("Scheduled completion date")
def scDateValue = scDateField.getValue()

def dateTimeFormatterFactory = ComponentAccessor.getComponentOfType(DateTimeFormatterFactory)
def formatter = dateTimeFormatterFactory.formatter().withStyle(DateTimeStyle.DATE_TIME_PICKER)
def formatteddate = formatter.format(rcDateValue)

if (!scDateValue)


I've commented out the IF at the end so it's not that value isn't getting set, the value of formatteddate just isn't the formatted value of rcDateValue and is instead the current date/time.





1 answer

1 accepted

Hey Jon!

I've played around with this for a hot minute and think I know what the problem is. After logging out some values, it looks like the value returned from the first date field is being returned as null, regardless of whether or not it has been populated. Because of that, I assume that the null value is being defaulted to todays date by the formatter. However, to fix this problem, all you need to do is take that code out of your initializer script, and instead use it as a server-side script directly on the "Requested completion date" field. 

I've encountered this problem before, and have opened a bug for it in our backlog that you might want to watch and vote on: SRJIRA-2808.

Try out the workaround that I've recommended and see if that does the trick for you. Let me know how it goes! :D



     thanks, I'll do that.

This doesn't work at all now, regardless of where the script resides.

Figured out the issue. If I set the Behavior to use the Service Desk mapping type, it doesn't work. If I change it to use regular Jira/Issue Types, it works.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

How we use Jira Service Management for our recruitment process! - Part 2

It is never about setting up a process and being done with it. Rather, the focus should always be on optimizing it for the best outcomes. Thus, we didn’t stop at setting up JSM for our recruitment pr...

183 views 0 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you