Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set a default value for description field in JIRA?

Sidney Ambrose August 5, 2021

Our client's requirement for a certain project was to have default value for the system field "Description". I was able to implement this using Behaviours. The issue however is that once we type additional data in the description field, it doesn't show up after the issue is created. For example, if the Description field has value "Name", it shows on the create Issue screen however, if I enter my name ("Name ABC") and click on create, the created issue shows only "Name". Could someone please assist? PFB my behavior script.

def sfield = getFieldById(getFieldChanged())
if (getActionName() != "Create") {
return
}

def string = " Name "
sfield.setFormValue(string)

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

Hi @Sidney Ambrose  Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Kindly use the method suggested in this link :- https://mraddon.blog/2018/02/25/how-to-set-a-default-description-template-in-your-jira-tickets/amp/

Hope it works for you!

Thanks

V.Y

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021
Sidney Ambrose August 5, 2021

Hi Vikrant,

Thank you so much for the assistance. It worked when we had the script in initializer.

Regards,
Sidney

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

Great, Glad to hear it works for you :)

Kindly accept the solution, if solution works for you so that it helps others users having same query. 

Thanks

V.Y

Charlie March 17, 2022

Hello @Vikrant Yadav , the method suggested also works for jira cloud ?

https://mraddon.blog/2018/02/25/how-to-set-a-default-description-template-in-your-jira-tickets/amp/

Thank for your help.

C.T.

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2022

Hi @Charlie  This method is for JIRA Server and JIRA DC version. For JIRA Cloud, this doesn't work. 

For jira colud, you can create Custom field and set Default value of that field. 

Thanks

Vikrant Yadav

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events