How to make layers of approval in Jira Service Management.

Dona Dianisya September 3, 2021

Hi,

Our company wants to implement Jira Service Management for our ticketing system. But we need up to 3 layers of approvals due to layers of department and management in our company.

I have read a lot of documentation to set the approvers in Jira ITSM, but I still can't see the approvals workflow work for more than 1 layer. I just can set up how many people for being approvers, but I still can't set the layers of the approvers.

For Example.

Layer 1. The user that was reporting the ticket

Layer 2. Their Dept. Head whose should be approvers for that tickets

Layer 3. Our IT Dept. Head for approving the issue and escalating to their IT support teams.

Layer 4. The IT support who will resolve the issue

Kindly anyone please guide me for this kind of problem.

I would very pleased for any answer that can help me to set up this case.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2021

Hi @Dona Dianisya,

My best suggestion for accomplishing this would be to have multiple state transitions that act as those approval points (this is what I have setup in the past).

For example:

- The User creates an issue which goes to "Open".
- It gets moved (or you use automation rules) to move it to the "Waiting for Dept. Approval" and assign the department head as the approver.
-Once Approved by the Dept. Head, it moved to the Next State to be approved by IT... etc.

Additionally, when you configure the approval part of a state transition you can use a different User field, which is how I accomplished this.  So the Dept. Head became the "Approval" Field for the first start transition, and then I used different fields for the others.

I hope that helps you get to where you are looking to go.

-Jimmy

Dona Dianisya September 5, 2021

Hi @Jimmy Seddon 

Thanks for your best suggestion.

If you don't mind. Could you tell me how to set the multiple state transitions? Do I have to customize the workflow for it?

Thanks

-Dona

Dona Dianisya September 5, 2021

Hi @Jimmy Seddon 

I already added a new transition "Waiting for IT Approval" between "Waiting for Dept. Head Approval and "Waiting for Support" state.

So, how can I set that transition to be another approval statement?

If you don't mind, could you please guide me, please?

Thank you

approval workflow transition.png

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2021

Hi @Dona Dianisya,

First, you will need to configure it on the status itself, not the transition:

AddApproval.JPG

Second, in order to be able to see and configure the approvals, you need to make sure the workflow is active on a Jira Service Management project.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

-Jimmy

Like Dona Dianisya likes this
Dona Dianisya September 8, 2021

Hi @Jimmy Seddon 

Thank you so much for your guidance! Your answer helps me so much.

This suit on our Approval.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2021

I'm glad that will work for you!

Like Dona Dianisya likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events