How to change "Original Estimate" field after the first worklog entry has been entered?

Roberto Saltini December 2, 2016

Hi,

I have written the following code to change the "Original Value" field.

IssueManager issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager()
MutableIssue issue = issueManager.getIssueObject("TASKTEST-313")
ApplicationUser user =  ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser();

Long val = 3600 * 4

issue.setOriginalEstimate(val)
issueManager.updateIssue(user,issue, EventDispatchOption.ISSUE_UPDATED,false)

The code above works fine before any worklog entry is entered. However, after the first worklog entry has been entered, the value of "Original Estimate" is not changed by running the code above although it is possible to change the value of "Original Estimate" via the GUI Edit dialog window

Selezione_057.png

What am I missing?

Additional Information

I am able to change the value of "Original Estimate" by using the method store() of MutableIssue which is however deprecated so I would prefer not to use it.

MutableIssue issue = issueManager.getIssueObject("TASKTEST-314")
ApplicationUser user =  ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser();

Long val = 3600 * 4

issue.setOriginalEstimate(val)
issue.store()

Further Information

I am also able to change the "Original Estimate" value by using IssueService as below. However, I cannot yet understand why IssueManager.update does not work. 

MutableIssue issue = issueManager.getIssueObject("TASKTEST-314")
IssueService issueService = ComponentAccessor.getIssueService()

Long val = 3600 * 4

IssueInputParameters inputParameters = issueService.newIssueInputParameters()
inputParameters.setOriginalEstimate((Long)(val/60))
IssueService.UpdateValidationResult validationResult = issueService.validateUpdate(user,issue.id,inputParameters)
issueService.update(user, validationResult)

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Jonny Carter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2016

That's pretty normal, in my experience. IssueService is, by its own description, better suited to making sure all the magic happens.

This services methods will make sure that when dealing with Issue's that all of JIRA's business rules are enforced. This means that permissions and data validation will be checked, proper events will be fired, and notifications will be triggered.

I'm guessing that derived fields like remainingEstimate, and possibly even Original Estimate itself need some of that business logic sauce behind the scenes, at least in certain contexts.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2016

But it works using IssueService, so does it matter?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events