Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I render a Confluence page programatically?

Sammo Gabay March 29, 2018

When somebody creates a blog post in one of our Confluence pages, we want to e-mail the content to a distribution list. I have successfully created an event listener using ScriptRunner to call a mail-dispatch API and send the raw page content, which renders all right as HTML in an e-mail client. However, any macros in the content are in raw wiki code form and are not rendered. How can I use the Confluence Java API to render the page content to (X)HTML and send that to my e-mail service?

I am well versed with the Jira Java API and ScriptRunner but am newer to the Confluence API, but I have noticed much overlap.

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sammo Gabay April 30, 2018

Using the DefaultRenderer class from the Java API worked for us. The renderer will convert macros to XML format, although anything that requires Javascript would of course not render outside of Confluence.

import com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.DefaultRenderer;
import
com.atlassian.sal.api.component.ComponentLocator;

// page is an instance of com.atlassian.confluence.core.ContentEntityObject
DefaultRenderer renderer = ComponentLocator.getComponent(DefaultRenderer);
String content = renderer.render(page)
cloud-operations December 20, 2018

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this code doesn't render macros, it outputs them as the placeholders as you would see them in the editor.

Sammo Gabay January 8, 2019

Many macros offload their loading and rendering to JavaScript and the UI so the page itself will load faster. Any content that gets rendered in the UI via AJAX/JavaScript will not appear in the XML output, so it’s not a perfect solution.

1 vote
Yusuf TAMBAG December 1, 2020

If anyone needs rendering html I found this method using XhtmlContent component

xhtmlContent.convertStorageToView(        page,        new DefaultConversionContext(page.toPageContext())    );
0 votes
Dar Kronenblum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2018

try to use page.getBodyAsString()

Sammo Gabay April 30, 2018

Hi Dar,

I found that getBodyAsString() didn't fit my needs because it returns the raw, unprocessed page XML with all the macros unrendered.

Brian Rankin October 16, 2019

Hi Sammo,

Can you post the Scriptrunner script that you used both to a) render and b) email the blog page? Would be great to see how it's done!

Thank you!

Sammo Gabay October 22, 2019

Hi Brian, the above snippet will render the content of a page to XML (see caveat about it being imperfect). I am not exactly certain how to send an e-mail using the Confluence Java API. We are using an program called Sendy to send these newsletters out. It has a simple REST API to use.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events