Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make a Progress Bar reusable across multiple pages?

JACOB STAMM July 20, 2018

The current implementation of the Progress Bar macro requires copy/pasting all the Progress Bar Hyperlink Steps across each Page/Progress Bar Container you want to use them in. This is a real pain when you want each Page that's linked to in the Progress Bar to have the same Progress Bar steps, with the only difference being which step it's on. I tried to hack this functionality by making an orphan page and defining an Excerpt macro containing only the Progress Bar steps and adding a Progress Bar Container to each respective page containing the Excerpt Include (with the Remove Surrounding Panel option checked) referencing the Excerpt containing the Progress Bar steps. It seems to work in Preview mode, but when you save and view the page, the Excerpt-inserted Progress Bar displays for a split second, then disappears.

This kinda seems like the standard usage one would use a progress bar for... tracking progress across multiple pages. How do I reuse a set of Progress Bar steps across multiple pages? Using Server 6.5

Screen recording

3 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Sharon Hinde
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2018

Hi Jacob,

I think I understand what you are trying to achieve here.

I'm wondering if one of the quick start templates recently added to Content Formatting will help you.

The template is called Multi Page Journey. It will lead you through adding multiple pages all linked on the same progress bar.

This page shows you how to get started with a Content Formatting template https://www.adaptavist.com/doco/display/CFP/Templates

You then select Multi Page Journey. The wizard will lead you through adding the pages by title. You can then edit each new page to add your text etc.

multi-page-journey-2018-08-09_11-29-07.png

Regards

Sharon Hinde

Adaptavist Senior UI Engineer

skirb11 November 20, 2019

This is only a partial solution. If you know the exact layout and number of pages in advance, this template will allow you to specify it once and it will auto-generate the progress bar for each page.

HOWEVER, if you want to make any changes later, such as adding pages or changing the order of steps, you still have to go and edit the progress bar in every page individually. I would love to see a solution for this.

WW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2023

Yeah, I tried using the Excerpt/Include macros, and that didn't work, showed  nothing.

It'd sure be nice if that did work, though, but it won't take any other macros inside the Progress Bar Container. I tried panel just to be able to more easily copy them, and it didn't show anything.

This question's an oldie, so I would think they would have come up with a solution by now, but maybe not.

0 votes
JACOB STAMM August 8, 2018

Bueller?

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2018

Hi Jacob,

Since your question is regarding a macro that is part of Content Formatting for Confluence by Adaptavist I am moving your question to another part of the forum where Adaptavist can help.

Thanks,

Ann

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events