Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can ScriptRunner run Python script on server?

DH April 3, 2020

Using ScriptRunner's Custom Scheduled Job (plugins/servlet/scriptrunner/admin/jobs), I'd like to specify a Python script to run.

Does ScriptRunner only run Groovy scripts ?

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2020

Scriptrunner I think used to be called "groovy runner" ... so really it's only groovy/java.

But a groovy script can execute a command on the server just like you would from the command line.

So if you want to run a python script, you can do something like this:

def sout = new StringBuilder()
def serr = new StringBuilder()
def cmd = "/path/to/python/script.py"
def proc = cmd.execute()
proc.consumeProcessOutput(sout,serr)
proc.waitForOKill(30000)
if(serr){
log.error "Error exeucting python script with standard error output: \n $serr"
log.debug "Erroring Python script had standard output:\n $sout
} else {
log.debug "Python script executed succesfully with standard output:\n $sout"
}
DH April 6, 2020

Thank you @Peter-Dave Sheehan , that makes total sense. I will try this, but haven't yet. Nonetheless, you answered my question and I will mark it as Answered.

0 votes
Jyoti Bisoi August 20, 2020

How to catch error in python script? Above code does  run the script but not failing the post function even if the python script failed. Can you please suggest any way to fail post function with example please.

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2020

There is no exit/failure path (that I'm aware of ) for any post-function script.

That's what validators are for.

The best you can do is consume the standard error output from the command execution and let the user know.

Maybe you need to split your python script in 2, a validation script and an execution script.

Executed the validation script from a custom script validator, if it fails, throw an exception and stop the transition. If it passes, run the execution script as a postfunction to perform whatever action you need it to.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events