Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age of issue in Days using Scriptrunner Scripted Field

Beverly Braham-Durica December 8, 2020

I've been going through all of the questions and resolutions for creating a field using Scriptrunner to calculate the number of days an issue has been opened.

I'm a novice at scripting so some of the resolutions have not made sense to me.

Here's what I've tried:

First attempt:

import com.atlassian.core.util.DateUtils
DateUtils.getDurationString(((new Date().getTime() - issue.getCreated().time) / 1000) as Long)

Which returns with the format of w  d  h  m

example from one of my issues 31w 2d 12h 33m

Second attempt:

import com.atlassian.core.util.DateUtils
DateUtils.getDurationString(((new Date().getTime() - issue.getCreated().time) / 86400000) as Long)

Which returns as Months

I just need to get days only for my customer - again I'm new at scripting and have been researching this, not finding any recommendations that lead to just days. If there is a rounding that needs to be done to this script or a completely different script - please give me the steps.

Thank you fellow Atlassian Folks!

2 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2020

I get my day durations like this when I want whole days.

def durationMillis = new Date().time - issue.created.time
def days= Math.round(durationMillis / 1000 / 60 / 60/ 24)

You could also use Math.floor() if you want a day to be counted only after a full 24 hours has passed. Math.round does a simple arithmetic rounding to the nearest integer.

Thank you! I'll check that out too - I really appreciate this :)

@Peter-Dave Sheehan how does this go into the script? Again, I'm very novice at this and I'm not sure how to insert this

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2020

Scripts can be super simple or super complicated. If you don't care that this number will grow forever you can put this is the script exactly as is.

Here is an example:

2020-12-08 14_41_48-Script Fields.png 

But you may want to consider stopping the clock when an issue is closed.

In which case you'll have to introduce some more complex logic.

Something like:

def enDate = issue?.resolutionDate ?: new Date()
def durationMillis = endDate.time-issue.created.time
def days= Math.round(durationMillis / 1000 / 60 / 60/ 24)

Something to note about a field like this ... the index (if you select a searcher in the custom field configuration) will only be updated when an issue is otherwise updated.

So don't expect to be able to use this field in filters and have current results.

Like Beverly Braham-Durica likes this

I'm still getting an error when I use the first method - any suggestions would be great

2020-12-08_15-55-43.jpg

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2020

This is an inconsequential warning. You can safely ignore it. 

If it really bothers you, you can force the data type of your calculation with something like this:

def days= Math.round((durationMillis / 1000 / 60 / 60/ 24) as Double)
Like Beverly Braham-Durica likes this

Thanks for all of your help @Peter-Dave Sheehan  - it works great.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2020

getDurationString translates seconds into a formatted string that breaks down the duration into the largest common divisors.

You should be using one of the other functions, I think.   See https://docs.atlassian.com/DAC/javadoc/atlassian-core/4.6.0/reference/com/atlassian/core/util/DateUtils.html for the various options

Thank you - I'll read through these and see which one would be the best.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events