Dynamic Structure

Jochen Berdi June 28, 2021

We have a dynamic structure that we fill via automation. The automation goes to a JQL query.
We can't get the JQL query to go to the logged-in user.
Example: project = pattern AND assignee = currentUser()
The query always goes to the creator of the structure (=currentUser) and not to the logged-in user.

Is such a query possible?

1 comment

Comment

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

@Jochen Berdi - hi Jochen!

• Can you confirm the version of Structure you're using? (e.g. 6.6, or 7.0)
  • Is the automation the only automation on the structure board?
    • Can you take a screenshot of the automation rule?
  • Are any quick transformations toggled on?
Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

Hi, @Jochen Berdi.  What he (@Dave Liao) said. :)

Structure automation rules (generators) are executed in a particular order.  And transformations will execute after the generators. If you share some screenshots I am sure we can help you out. 

-dave [ALM Works]

Like Dave Liao likes this

Automation.JPG

Here is the screenshot. When starting the structure, we would like the insert query to refer to the logged-in user.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 28, 2021

Hello Jochen,

When it comes to structures built automatically, generators that add issues always run from under the structure's owner, i.e. the currentUser() function can't work here as expected. If a generator's query is changed according to a user who is accessing a structure, it might cause some mix-ups. A structure itself might look differently for all users and some issues might be unavailable unintentionally. And if a structure is opened by several users at once, it would need to generate according to users' permissions and it might create additional strain on the performance.

For cases when a structure needs to be displayed differently for different users, the transformations can be used. They are easy to apply and they only change the structure for a specific user in their browser window. The Filter transformation with the currentuser() function can be used after the structure is opened. For that please do the following:

1. Click the 'Automation' button to disable the Generators' editing mode (turning on or off of this button doesn't change anything in a structure);
2. Click the 'Transformations' button and then Add transformation on the appeared panel;
3. Select Filter | JQL Query... and type: assignee=currentUser();
4. Save that transformation and it will be available for all users to turn on (to access saved transformation, please click the 'Quick transformations' button).
https://wiki.almworks.com/display/structure/Transformations

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact us again directly at support.almworks.com if you need our assistance with anything else.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Like # people like this

Hello,
thanks for the workaround, but this is exactly what I linked and already use. I still don't understand the logic in Structure that even with a JQL call to a filter, currentUser is simply ignored. That is, sorry, not logical at all and in my eyes a capital error against the background of multiple use of the same structure by users of the same target group.

I'm a real fan of the plugin, but this doesn't fit with its orientation and, in my view, needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

Our Structure Version is 6.6.0

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 29, 2021

Hello Jochen,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. We understand your point of view here and the way generators work on behalf of the structure's owner can indeed be confusing. At this time, this is how this functionality is realized and the currentuser() function is not recognized as a result because the owner can't be a dynamic user. Changing it will require significantly reworking the existing architecture since the very core of the mechanism used for building structures automatically will be affected. Also, this will limit Structure's own capabilities for creating reports and there can be substantial performance-related changes in large & popular structures.

If the proposed workaround doesn't fit your use case, please contact us directly at support@almworks.com and we'll be glad to take a look at your setup and suggest an alternative solution, if possible.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events